Rest Stops

On a long trip, it would be good to know where the next rest stop is so I can decide whether to make my family wait for the next rest area...or stop by the side of the road.

I'm refering to public rest stops that are usually run by the city/state they're in.

Rest areas or rest stops are already there. To check that you have them enabled, try the following:

• Tap screen
  • Tap Change preferences
  • Tap 'Show POI on Map
  • Make sure the box for 'Rest area' is checked
But as a caution, try not to enable more than 3 or 4 POI categories or it may slow down the navigation instructions some. Hope this helps.

Some rest stops are included with the current versions of maps but some of the readers may find their particular version does not. I travel the same routes on I 75 and I 81. No rest stops with my version. Since I travel these roads often I used the edit map to add missing POI.s. This is not much help when traveling in new areas. I then marked my POI's as described by Rick F. Some of our newer members may not have been on the forum when the version of maps first removed most rest areas was provided. Big uproar but TT only said to go to their website and buy that set of POI's.......which they did not have.

Interstate rest area

I installed the interstate rest area POI, I received one time warning "Rest stop 2.2 miles,next area 32 miles" this was great. Ever since then I get Rest area 2.2 miles next 2.4 miles. Is there some way to clean this up?????

You may have the 'warn when near poi' preference set (for rest stops). If so, you may have it set for a specific distance and an associated recorded voice.

The other place to look is 'speech preferences'-->speak 'poi warnings'.

I do have it set for for a distance warning. I problem is it tells me for example 2 miles then it says next one is 2.2 miles. At one time it gave me the next stop as for example 32 miles. Is it possible it is looking at both sides of the freeway?

Wellm there is a setting for warn 'on route' that may be checked. If you uncheck that, perhaps it'll let you know the other ones too. Not sure.

Best one i've yet to find: Rest Areas Combined

Source: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6643

I'm fairly certain I tried 6-8 diff POI sets until I happened across this one.

This set has an active support crew and is updated regularly

BEST FEATURE: displays Mile Markers = fantastic

2 files below are the BMP & ov2

Attachments

• RestAreasCombined.bmp
    1.6 KB · Views: 497
  • RestAreasCombined.zip
    21.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Best one i've yet to find: Rest Areas Combined

Source: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6643

I'm fairly certain I tried 6-8 diff POI sets until I happened across this one.

This set has an active support crew and is updated regularly

BEST FEATURE: displays Mile Markers = fantastic

2 files below are the BMP & ov2

WoW Thanks. As a truck driver I find the ones that come in the TomTom are about useless. About 5-10% of them actually do come up and some are even off by a bit. Lets see how this works. :D

Again, Thank you.

Ask a Question