Request for assistance with a couple of pics

TomTom Model(s)
XL350 TM, XL550 TM, START 55TM
Hi, folks. I've got two pics attached of my squad car and my truck that I'd like turned into icons. I have tried unsuccessfully to do this before with a couple of different pics, including using the red background, and they didn't work so well. The red background shows up as a truck on a red square on my TomTom. I "repainted" it white and it showed up as truck on a white square on my TomTom. I have no clue how to make something transparent or even crop to the shape of the vehicle pictured. Unfortunately, I'm not that talented.

The first image is my truck. The next two are of my car. The first is probably the better of the two.

Any help is appreciated. :thumb:

Attachments

• 100_6476.JPG
    100_6476.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 100_6485.JPG
    100_6485.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF1705.JPG
    DSCF1705.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 426
The more I look at those, I should have got off my lazy butt and moved them outside for the pictures. If you think I should do so and then repost the pics, let me know.

Glad you said that! :)
It would certainly make for a better end result (which would make whoever ends up doing it for you feel like they'd done a more satisfying job!).
From slightly above is best too, so taking it from an upstairs window or a garage roof would be great.

For info the background does need to be red for it to go transparent, but it has to be exactly the right shade of red (225,0,0 in RGB values). Even one point away from that and it does show up as red after all

They did look pretty crappy once I got to looking at them. Here are better pictures I took this morning.

Attachments

• 100_6498.JPG
    100_6498.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_6488.JPG
    100_6488.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 388
OK I'll start on the truck....
What should we call them?

Chevy_Silverado

Right click and "save as..." (should save as a .bmp format file)

Attachments

• Chevy_Silverado.bmp
    18.8 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Chevy_Impala_Sheriff

Right click and "save as..." (should save as a .bmp format file)

Attachments

• Chevy_Impala_Sheriff.bmp
    18.8 KB · Views: 443
Odd, they're working here...
And they're not links to an external site, I uploaded them straight to TT Forums as .bmp file attachments.

Do you see the images in the posts, but can't download them, or do you not see the images at all?

Anyone else not able to see them?

Using IE8, just see the red X in the box for each and no apparent way to dl the file.

Dont know what else I can suggest... It's not as if I'm using my webspace or a file sharing site, it's this own forum's system.
Could be just IE's general crappyness?

As an experiment dhn, do you have a .bmp file (say another car cursor) that you could try uploading to the site?

How I uploaded:

Click on "Go advanced" below the quick reply panel
Click on paperclip icon
In the new window, click on the first "Browse" button in the "Upload File from your Computer" section.
Select a .bmp file (must be smaller than 97.7 KB) and then click on "Upload"

Once it has uploaded the file, close that window and go back to the main reply window,
Click on the paperclip icon and select the uploaded file.
It should appear as attachment tags and a number in the message window, but show the actual image when you do a preview.

Can you see this one?

Attachments

• FrankDalekB.bmp
    18.8 KB · Views: 410
I just went to 'Go Advanced' and Manage Attachments. Added my car :)D ).

Strange.........I see mine.

Even stranger... I see my .bmps as actual images, but I only see yours as a link!

attachment.php

Wot's going on wid dis forum? :crazy:

Still... I guess the most important thing is whether or not "LawDogRD10" can get hold of his new icons....

Attachments

• TTForums_Cant_see_bmps.jpg
    TTForums_Cant_see_bmps.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 740
Dont know what else I can suggest... It's not as if I'm using my webspace or a file sharing site, it's this own forum's system.
Could be just IE's general crappyness?
FWIW, everything appears to be fine for me - using Opera.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Andy-They look great! I've got them installed on both my TTs and they look really good! Sorry that I missed the messages, I guess I didn't have my instant notification set after I posted the newer pics. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info, Tom.... One for Ian (siite owner) to scratch his head over I guess!

Thanks for the feedback LawDog, glad you got them and they look OK

Should all be fixed now :). Some browsers have problems with BMP embedding, so stopped BMPs generating thumbnails so it appears for all users. It's a browser oddity, but this fix should stop the problem from happening for any users that can't see the icon.

Ask a Question