Replacing the Cigarette Charger..

Hey all, I just bought a ONE XL and I am working on getting the best configuration in my car. I discovered how much more I like having the thing mounted in the lefthand corner of my windshield so that it's right nearby all my dash readouts.

However, having the unit over there means I have to get the cable all the way to the cigarette lighter, which sits on the bottom right of the center console. I originally wanted to be able to run the wire right under my floor mat and have it come up the very side of the dash, basically right where the door sits flush. Except, of course, the included cable falls short of being able to do this by about 5 inches.

So my solution (and please, chime in with any other ideas) is to get one of those cigarette chargers that is just that base piece with USB ports on it...allowing you to plug in any USB cable to a charging device (ipod, etc). This way, I can get a nice long A to B cable to reach my tomtom. What do you think?

My biggest concern at this point is voltage...I'm utterly clueless about these sorts of things and I want to make sure that there would be compatibility...that the included charger isn't some odd wattage that, if replaced by something slightly different, would have ill effects on my beloved unit.

Please let me know what you think, I appreciate the help!

A USB charger will work fine. I've done it. USB current capacity and voltage are standardized. Cheap on eBay.

One possible drawback is that most USB mini cables have straight connectors, which might not work well in some mounting positions. For $5-6 on eBay you can get a right angle adapter, originally intended for the Motorola Razr phone. Search on "usb angle razr" (without the quotes) and a bunch of them will pop up.

Yes, a simple extender will also do the job even cheaper. But there will be an unsightly bulge in the middle where the two parts plug together.

Last edited:
thanks guys. An extender would work, but like previously mentioned it means having that big bulky piece somewhere and I'm really trying to minimize the presence the wires. Thanks for clarifying, it would make sense that since it's USB it's standardized..

I'll have to check to see if i can get a straight mini USB end plugged in where my tomtom sits...if not, that's a good suggestion with the angled ones.

Price-wise, either option seems just as cheap; if I get one of the adaptors with two USB ports I'll also be able to charge my ipod which seems like a nice bonus.

Glad to help. I've also got one of those dual USB chargers. Easy to find on eBay.

If you find that you do need the right angle adapter, note that it faces left when the shorter of the two faces of the USB connector is facing toward you. On my ONE this means that it faces left as you look at the TomTom from the front. I expect that it would be the same on your XL. From your description this sounds like this would be a good direction for your mounting.

Ask a Question