Replacing LCD screen / digitizer

Hi all,

My TomTom One XL powers up normally, but has stopped responding to touch screen input. II've decided to open up the unit to take a look with a view to possibly replacing the screen. I removed the back cover and the main board (i.e. having removed 8 screws in total) but then have no idea how to access the screen and digitizer, as there are no obvious gap to prise open the front from the plastic backing. Does anyone know how this is done? Is there an illustrated guide anywhere on the web? Thanks a lot.

Code.

Never mind, I've figured out how to do it - prise it off from the front of course! Now does anyone know how to detach the digitizer from the screen?

How was the battery?

Hi!

I have a problem with my tomtom One: it has stopped responding to touch. When you opened yours up, did you discover the battery had blown at all? Mine has expanded horrendously and I wonder whether that may be affecting the screen.

Thanks!
Thomas

You are posting in a thread over two years old. Doubt whether you'll get a response from the poster.

That said, I know an expanded battery in a cell phone I had screwed up its functionality.

Someone else may pop into this thread to assist.

Thanks, dhn.
I have now replaced the battery. It powers up nicely now, but the screen still doesn't respond to touch! Back to my first-principal intuition then. Fixing, what a hobby!

I've never had to do it myself, but I believe that although it's slightly cheaper to just buy the digitiser rather than the complete screen assembly, separating the old one from the screen and then getting it all back together with the new one can be quite a hassle!

If you buy the complete screen and digitiser together, its a simple one ribbon cable connector job to replace.

Don't know what the prices look like on your side of the Atlantic, but the full assembly (LCD + touch screen) for these 4.3" models is down to around US$38 these days. Example http://krazeekrazees.com/selected-krazees-part/gps-lcd-screen-p83.php

For that money, the separation and reassembly of just a new touch screen is probably more brain damage than it's worth.

Ask a Question