replacing 720 battery

I'm not too patient about the hour or less time I get from the battery, and I realize that I could shut off the BT, but I use the handsfree, it's better than a headset, and in NY you need something for that.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find 1) instructions for opening the 720 Go, and 2) a site where they've actually bought a replacement battery? I have followed the links posted by others for site, and so far none of them have batteries for 720, just 710.

Thanks

The resident guru on batteries (well, one of them, anyhow) is GAW. Shoot him a pm and see whether he has an answer.

I have been watching online, and so far I have not seen an aftermarket battery with higher capacity then the undersized stock battery. I got a Lenmar supplemental battery with 2100 mah that works f good on TomToms and other devices like blackberries, etc.

It is available from Radio Shack for $49.95, but if you Google it (Lenmar PPU2100B), it can be found for $24.95.

If you get one, let the device be mostly discharged before you plug it in, as the charge rate is faster than the discharge rate, so you waste some of it.

PS - on your device, I have found the battery savings preference where you shut down or dim (based on app number) the screen between instructions helps a lot. However, this is on open roads and freeways, but in the NY area (other then a few freeways/parkways) - it will probably be giving instructions most of the time.

Curious as to your use of it there, as in a car - it would normally be plugged in. Mine goes on a bike sometimes, and occasionally gets carried around.

I do use it in my car, but I can't always plug it in. I only have one power port, and part of the time I need it to recharge my cell phone. Also, if I dim the Go except for instructions, what happens when I get a call or need to make a call on my phone? I'm also using the bluetooth connection for my hands free. I also frequently see road construction on the Go display, but get no vice for that. If I could not see it, I would have no warning. Seems like the road crews around here make up excuses to shut down roads for 10 months of the year!

I'll search for the part number you gave, but I still have no idea how I would open the Go. Do you know of where I might find that?

I would have responded earlier but I didn't get an email notification.

I think you should be able to find splitters in an electronics store, just like for a phone.

Plug into cigarette lighter and have two receptacles: one for the phone, the other for the gps unit.

battery. I got a Lenmar supplemental battery with 2100 mah that works f good on TomToms and other devices like blackberries, etc.

It is available from Radio Shack for $49.95, but if you Google it (Lenmar PPU2100B), it can be found for $24.95.

that's a nice little device there:D

I'm going to get one....it would be great for powering small devices like cell or mp3 players while at airports or anywhere charging can't be done.

internet on the cell just kills the battery FAST !

much better that a pocket full of batterys !

OK back on topic now:D

Thanks Marc, that Radio Shack link shows what I was referring to.

Yup, I already have one of those, actually a couple of them. But when I tried to plug both the Go and my phone in together, both batteries ran down to nothing and neither one charged well enough to use. So for long trips, I have to switch between charging one at a time and hope I get each one on long enough to make it work out. It was even worse when we travelled in my husband's car. He also only has one port, and I had to give up using both the phone and the Go 3/4 of the way through the trip. Apparently his power port gives out less power than mine!

Did you ever get into the middle of a major metro where you haven't driven before and have your Go conk out on you? No notice, just shut down completely. Oh, yeah, it was great fun!

I'm not too patient about the hour or less time I get from the battery.....

I hear ya.

Another solution to consider is a rechargable USB battery pack like this: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10076905&catid=24924

Not the cheapest solution, (the lighter plug adapter makes the most sense) however, I've used mine for so many different things, I can't imagine not having it now. Runs your iPod, TomTom, whatever you want for a VERY long time. It will connect to anything with either a USB jack OR a mini-B jack like my 720.

I hear ya.

Another solution to consider is a rechargable USB battery pack like this: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10076905&catid=24924

Not the cheapest solution, (the lighter plug adapter makes the most sense) however, I've used mine for so many different things, I can't imagine not having it now. Runs your iPod, TomTom, whatever you want for a VERY long time. It will connect to anything with either a USB jack OR a mini-B jack like my 720.

As usual, BestBuy's price is rather high. Office Depot has them for $39.95.

@ GAW

how long will / would that power a tomtom ( not using power saving options )

PSJ aka Marc

I have gotten another 3 plus hours without battery saving options - better still with "tune screen off(or dim on 8.3) between instruction" and if not needing bluetooth - turn it off.

The APC battery seems to have higher capacity, and $39.95 from Office Depot.

I do use it in my car, but I can't always plug it in. I only have one power port, and part of the time I need it to recharge my cell phone. Also, if I dim the Go except for instructions, what happens when I get a call or need to make a call on my phone? I'm also using the bluetooth connection for my hands free. I also frequently see road construction on the Go display, but get no vice for that. If I could not see it, I would have no warning. Seems like the road crews around here make up excuses to shut down roads for 10 months of the year!

I'll search for the part number you gave, but I still have no idea how I would open the Go. Do you know of where I might find that?

I would have responded earlier but I didn't get an email notification.

Per the other posts - get a splitter - I use one for both devices.

When the unit is dimmed - you will get the call and you can make one handsfree also - tap the screen.

Check your speech preference settings - it may not be set to give warnings.

The part number was for an external battery (or see the APC battery in the other post). There are so far no INTERNAL batteries out there for the x20 and x30 devices. If there eventually are, they may not have much more (if any) capacity - as the newer units like the 720's may be space constrained. You would also void your warranty for nothing at this point.

There are so far no INTERNAL batteries out there for the x20 and x30 devices. If there eventually are, they may not have much more (if any) capacity - as the newer units like the 720's may be space constrained. You would also void your warranty for nothing at this point.
Actually, the battery itself is available, but is already set up for a different piece of hardware -- the connectors are not correct for the TT units. They'd require a snip and solder to correct this.

I don't recall the Sony number (U.S. models use this one) off the top of my head, but if you run a Google search on the first 6 digits and Sony, you'll see the device pop up with some different suffix numbers that indicate alternate terminations for other devices.

Ask a Question