Renew maps or buy new model?

@dhn
Do you have a cable that would fit to try on your lower end model? If it works in Canada, it should work down here, too.

No, Arno is using the one I had for his 930. But I don't have a Go500 or 600 here, just a Go 50 and I know that the 50 cannot use the combo antenna/car charger. No chip, no VC, no capacitive screen, etc., etc.

The current crop of GO 500/600 does not support RDS-TMC and due to huge gaps and selected withdrawal by providers GO 5000/6000 models will most likely not appear in North America.

No, Arno is using the one I had for his 930.
I had never tried that with the GO 600 due to the cradle set up.
It is my understanding that it does not work with the hardware platforms that were released for North America a year ago.

No, Arno is using the one I had for his 930. But I don't have a Go500 or 600 here, just a Go 50 and I know that the 50 cannot use the combo antenna/car charger. No chip, no VC, no capacitive screen, etc., etc.
I know that the certain European versions of the 50 included the TMC cable (those with 'VF' serial numbers), so if you're right about the code being present, yours might work if we had a cable to connect to it to try out.

I don't know. I do have a combo rds antenna/car charger here that fits the Go 1535. Is that what you guys are referring to?

Yeah, that should do it. Proper right angle fit. Easy experiment at least.

I gleaned from when they were changed a year ago that it only worked on the QS/QT.

Cannot test as David's is a mini, not micro USB.

My records (such as they are) show shipped with cables as follow - but who knows which others include firmware that the cable might match?

GO 40, No support
GO 50, VF (Europe)
GO 60, VA (Europe)
GO 500, QI, QT (Europe)
GO 600, QE (Europe)
GO 600, QS (PAN profile version abandoned in NAM)

Just looked at the list and yes, you were not included in the batch of PAN devices but QT was definitely the GO 500 then.

if your 720 is still going strong.then you can still pay 50 UK pounds per year for map updates.when you buy a new one,that means you maybe in the future another update pay.

Just looked at the list and yes, you were not included in the batch of PAN devices but QT was definitely the GO 500 then.
Yes, QT is GO 500. Here's the distinction between the three various European 500 models:

QI = TMC (as noted), without ASR
QT = TMC (as noted), with ASR
QJ = No TMC, No ASR
All are PAN profile.

Yes, QT is GO 500. Here's the distinction between the three various European 500 models:

QI = TMC (as noted), without ASR
QT = TMC (as noted), with ASR
QJ = No TMC, No ASR
All are PAN profile.

Gentleman, I appreciate that you've put a lot into this question. Thank you!

I now understand clearly that the QT = GO 500 with TMC, Live Traffic, and Voice recognition.

But is the QT version of the GO 500 currently being produced for the U.S. market, or was / it only in the Euro market?
Will these features be supported in ongoing firmware?

The QT is not available in North America. That's because it, like the other models listed in that post, are using a different Bluetooth profile Europe vs. North America. Actually, we got the best of the deal on that one. Rather than having to pay our carriers special tethering rates to get the PAN profile working on our phones, they were able to slide in the SPP profile, and since the amount of data used is so very low, no one has noticed or cared about the data usage at the carrier level. Bringing up a single web page with a smart phone browser would use far more data that what is required required for Live traffic in several days of driving 8 hours+ a day in a congested metro area!

Actually, we got the best of the deal on that one. Rather than having to pay our carriers special tethering rates to get the PAN profile working on our phones, they were able to slide in the SPP profile, and since the amount of data used is so very low, no one has noticed or cared about the data usage at the carrier level.
I thoroughly disagree.
With my cell phone provider tethering was free with Telus in Canada.
I now have to pay an extra $ 10/month to get a minimal Data plan added on.

You're saying that tethering (using your phone as a cell model for a PC, for example) was FREE, and they were going to CHARGE you for using data on the phone itself?
That's - shall we say - counterintuitive - since users who spend time in tethered mode typically suck down vastly larger amounts of data. That's why most carriers charge some premium for it.

Ask a Question