Renault TomTom SD card back up query ...

Hi,

With Mac system, can I simply drag SD card contents to desktop and copy onto another SD card for back up or does each card need to be formatted especially by TomTom or Renault?

Thanks.

Hi, Welcome to TTF.

When we suggest backing up the unit's contents, regardless of a model, we ALWAYS suggest Explorer if a PC, and Finder if a Mac.

Never, ever use Home, itself.

Thanks dhn.

As I understand your answer, I can simply drag the contents of the original SD card into a folder on the desktop then transfer onto the new SD card and that the 2nd SD card does not need to be "formatted" by either TomTom or Renault?????

Well, this is the situation. TomTom's use fat32 for the format of cards used since the application is linux based and doesn't know from NTFS formatting.

If you need to copy contents of a sd card in the unit to another card, whether via a card reader directly or through transferring to the computer and then using Finder to copy that to another sd card, well the second card has to be in fat32 format.

A Mac doesn't offer that as a choice for formatting, I believe, just Dos Format. So, if the receiving sd card isn't in that format, you need to do it.

Thank you again dhn.

Your reply is full of correct information that I don't know how to use.

What to do is very different from how to do it.

I need a blow by blow what to do to get what I want.

I need a fix to a problem not what Dos does or that a fat32 format even exists; both brilliantly correct but utterly utterly useless.

Can you please give me a step 1, step 2 et cetera answer so I get exactly what I want, hassle free without the production and the display of your superior knowledge.

Thanks a million in advance.

What is the problem that needs fixing? Let's start there.

Your instructions to me are:-

1. Insert original SD Card.
2. Do this.
3. Do this
4. Eject card.

5. insert unformatted card that may require reformatting - how is this done?

6. Do this
7. Do this
8. Eject 2nd card that is identical to the first and "Bingo" it works.

I do not have a Mac but I suspect that if you insert a card into the unit, both will show up as separate drives in a Mac. Just highlight the proper drive (not the internal unit itself) and I suspect a click of the mouse should bring up a format option.

Hopefully, Mac owners will jump into this thread.

Oh dear. You don't have a Mac, 2 'suspects' and a 'should' doesn't cut it. I need a definitive correct answer. When you set out to 'help' please state that it's guesswork. Your answers are as useless as 'Google is your friend' and 'Write a script'. What to do and how to do it are 2 very different things.

Simple answer is to go to a mates house and use their Windows based PC to foramt and copy the card, not everyone is an Apple devotee so unless you know how to perform rather basic tasks with a MAC such as format/ copy etc I would suggest you ask questions on an Apple related forum, as the issue isn't with the GPS device its down to your choice of computer OS and knowledge of said hardware, sorry to be rather blunt but I hope it points you in the right direction to find the answers you need:

1/ How to format a memory card in FAT32 uning a MAC
2/ How to copy files from a memory card to a MAC
3/ How to copy files from a MAC to a memory card

- Mike

Thanks for your reply mikealder

Renault tell me that the TomTom SD Card has been formatted for Renault's purposes in a manner that would indicate that it cannot be copied in the normal drag n' drop type manner on a Mac (or however it's done on a PC).

The supplied SD card of Western Europe had to have 2 parts removed which was done on a Mac and it's working.

From another forum: The difference is the size of the stick. FAT16 only works for volumes up to 2GB in size, whereas FAT32 is needed instead if you go above that size.

The Western Europe is 1.8 Gigs.

Never apologise for being blunt as long as there's a fix on the very near horizon.

Also the ratio of Mac / PC users is narrowing - you might consider having a TomTom Mac section.

I would go with a card larger thn 2GB as you have said the map is "only" 1,8GB but that leaves around 180MB to store the Navcore application, voice files, TTS Loquendo files and a whole host of other stuff thats needed to make the device work, 2GB is right on the limit and new maps at some future point will probably exceed this capacity - There is currently rumour/ suggestion that the continued delay to the release of the Western_Europe v850 map is due to storage capacity issues where the map won't fit on a large number of devices.

Why not try using a mates Windoze based PC along with a 4GB card formatted in FAT32, you won't damage the device and once you know it works use Finder on the MAC to make a copy of the new card for future use. I can understand you desire to use the MAC but if the Apple OS cannot format a memory card in FAT32 then its time to accept that and use a platform that can, even your next door neighbour might have a Windoze based machine with a card reader - Mike

Ask a Question