Remote

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
Has anyone experienced problems with the bluetooth remote not connecting to the 930T. I have had several instances lately where it would not be recognized and had to do a reset.

Not sure this applies but I read somewhere that holding down the centre button on the remote for 5 or 6 seconds activates it....I think :eek:

i will try that. Usually it just connects on its own. I will post back when this happens again. TNX dhn.

I will check that also. The unit is only a few days old but weak batteries ship sometimes.

Has anyone experienced problems with the bluetooth remote not connecting to the 930T. I have had several instances lately where it would not be recognized and had to do a reset.

try these things. Shut down your cell phone completely. Then reboot your 930. When it is totally rebooted restart your cell. Now when at a complete stop press your remote to connect via blue tooth to your cell Your 930 may ask the qestion do you want to connect to your unit. Say yes. See if this helps

I have found with my 930 that if my cellphone is off or out of range, and I have tried to connect the Remote as soon as the 930 is ready to navigate, the 930 searches for the cellphone so long that the 'timing search' on the Remote times out. I have to hit a button on the Remote again for it to connect. Other than that, no problem.
Bill

Cell phone does not seem to be the problem as I have never linked it to the TT. My camry has the capability much better. I have noticed this seems to happen if I forget to cancel navigation before I shut the tt down. When I restart of course it tries to navigate.
I have tried it while in navigation and it seems to not connect to the traffic module or the remote. If I have it not in the navigation mode it works fine. I have submitted the question to support. I will post their response.
RESPONSE FROM TOMTOM
Based on the information you provided, we believe there may be an error in the application installed on your GO 930. We offer step by step instructions on our website that will guide you through removing and reinstalling your application. Please click on the link below to view the information. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser. We apologize for any inconvenience.

http://www.tomtom.com/9091

Last edited:
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...

After saying my remote would connect to my 930( not 'T') once the 930 was through searching for cellphone, but this weekend on a 1200 mile trip having made a stop, when got ready to continue trip the cellphone would not connect to the 930. Checked cellphone. Was still paired to 930 but no connection. Had to be cellphone and not TomTom. Would work on cellphone problem later. Tried to connect Remote and also no joy. Tried most of the tricks of the trade and finally hit the reset pin. Both cellphone and Remote worked great for remainder of trip.

I know I had a route planned when I did the shutdown and then had the problem when fired up 930 again but seems I did same on all the legs, maybe skipped one shutdown without the next leg already planned.

So my theory was incorrect!
Bill

App 8.35x and later have been very instable with bluetooth phones. Perhaps it causes remote problems too. Try these steps.

I will check that also. The unit is only a few days old but weak batteries ship sometimes.
I found that the remote would sometimes blink without stop and the battery would be exhausted within two days.
I resorted to two things, 1) I purchased NiMH AAA batteries to be recharged, 2) when not in use (which happens most of the time) I open the cover of the remote and pop the batteries.

I also had an annoying problem with the phone. Upon start up, it would announce and show that it is connected to my phone. When trying to make a call and selecting the phone book or recent calls I'd get the message "this feature is not available".
I would then go through the pairing process which would lock up at about 55%.
After several days of trying and leaving the phone in the bluetooth discovery mode as "always visible" (which I do not like) the 930 completed the discovery and everything worked as it should.

I have now come up with the following observation.
After the phone and phone book worked OK and I connect the 903 to the computer (HOME), I have to let the 930 discover the phone again through Connect to Bluetooth device on the Bluetooth preferences screen.
Without that rediscovery I will get the message upon start up that the phone is connected but when trying to access the phone book the message This feature is not supported.

Although the rediscovery seems to get stuck at 10% for two to five minutes the progress bar all of a sudden races to the end and the green screen disappears and the phone book can be used.
If leaving from a strange location for another one, that length of time becomes unacceptable as neither the normal screen nor the voice guidance are available during that time.

I have tested the above four times over the last two days.

1) I purchased NiMH AAA batteries to be recharged, 2) when not in use (which happens most of the time) I open the cover of the remote and pop the batteries.
On Friday I used the remote to call a friend telling him that I'd be there in ten minutes.
Showing him a couple of things with his 930 (he is computerphobic) I thought of playing a trick on him, enabled his Bluetooth and tried to fool him by using my remote on his device.
It wouldn't work. I checked, got my unit inside and the blue light on the remote would not come on.
Opened the case, rotated the batteries (worked before at times) took the batteries out and put them back in and immediately the blue light was back on and his 930 displayed and announced Remote Control connected!
I've been using the unit daily since and there is no battery problem

Assumption: when presuming in the past that the batteries were dead again it might have only been the contacts that caused the problem.

Improvements by going back to 8.302

I have now come up with the following observation.
After the phone and phone book worked OK and I connect the 903 to the computer (HOME), I have to let the 930 discover the phone again through Connect to Bluetooth device on the Bluetooth preferences screen.
Without that rediscovery I will get the message upon start up that the phone is connected but when trying to access the phone book the message This feature is not supported
In another thread a poster mentioned that the directional arrows on his remote did not work to scan down to different phone book entries nor would they work on the Keyboard of the phone book Find function.

I tried it and confirmed it.
dhn replied that there were problems with Bluetooth and that others had reverted to 8.302.
I did that (never had problems with the announcements) and the phone book problems disappeared.

I also noted that pairing is only necessary after the device has been used in Demo mode with Home. If, after that, the phone is put into discovery mode before the TomTom is switched on, there will be immediate recognition of the phone, every time.

I also have endless bluetooth problems. The phone connectivity is always unstable and never works as predicted. Very odd behavior. I have never used the tom tom as a bluetooth device as a result. the poor stability is very disappointing.

The remote is also sketchy. works maybe 75% of the time, then I will power on the unit and the remote will not connect. I press the reset button on the bottom of the tom tom unit and everything works.

920T over here.

Sometimes the unit is unstable, but nothing I am not willing to live with on that front. But I am very disappointed in the poor performance of the bluetooth capabilities.

Happened couple of times, I was able to fix it by pressing the RESET button on the bottom (small hole) of the unit (920T). I suspect that the connection fails if you try to connect the remote while the unit is still starting up.

Remote control compatible with GO 740 LIVE

Hello everybody : somebody know if the bluetooth remote control for go 930 is compatible with go 740 live , thanks for your answers and enjoy the forum
Superdriver

two things. does your unit attach to your bluetooth cell phone when this happens. Try shutting down your cell and your unit. Then start your cell and then your unit. Sometimes when too much is in your memory this can happen. Also when restarting your remote, make sure you are not moving to get your remote attached.

Ask a Question