Remote Control battery life sucks

I just got my TT920 last week and installed batteries (2 AAA) to the remote control. Even though I was not using the remote and let it set there, but 2 days later batteries were dead. Then I installed another 2 new ones, same thing, batteries were dead after two days. I then installed new batteries for the third time, same thing, dead after two days.

Anyone experiencing the same thing? Is there an ?off? button for the remote control?

You probably got defective batteries. I bought my 920T on November 24 and use the remote everyday. Still using the original batteries. But I suppose there also might be something wrong with your remote, or you might be storing it in a way that a button is always being pressed?

If you have this problem after changing the batteries you should contact TomTom support.

I too am using the original batteries that came with the unit. The first pair that died, were they the ones that came with the unit? Also, I'm curious to know what brand you are using for replacements.

First time I was using the batteries came with the uint, then other two times were using brand new Duracell.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Interesting. I haven't used my remote much, but I'm going to keep an eye on it now. Thanks for the heads up!

First time I was using the batteries came with the uint, then other two times were using brand new Duracell.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

My first set, which came with the remote, also failed in about 2 days. So far, the new Duracells I replaced them with are still working....

Rob

Just some thoughts....how does the remote connect to the TT....through bluetooth right? Is the remote always connected, 24/7? What's the possibility that the remote is being stored on the fringe area of reception (if the TT is being stored in the charging cradle and on), and it's constantly searching for the TT, going in and out of range due to it being on the fringe of reception?

I had a similar problem (or maybe not similar at all) with a cell phone that was in the fringe area of EVDO services. All day while at work it would connect and then loose the connection to the tower, constantly searching. It was going through the battery in 6 hours while at work (in the fringe area), yet would last 3 days when away from work (way outside the fringe area).

Yes, you are correct, remote control is connected via bluetooth.

Since there is no ON/OFF button on the remote, I can not prevent the remote from keep on searching the TT device except remove its battery (and you know how inconvenient that is on the remote). When TomTom device is not in use, I usually power it off, but you maybe right, the remote may keep on searching for the device and drain the battery that way. Now the concern would be why Tomtom design the remote that way to allow the battery to drain so quickly and not providing a ON/OFF button? And others whom has replied ealier were OK with their remote?

Thanks for the info.

Is the remote ALWAYS on or does it turn on when an initial button is pressed after maybe a SLEEP cycle? Maybe yours is always on and attempting communications when it should hibernate or similar??? Total speculation on how it works. It would certainly be a waste of battery power to always be seeking the main unit - no?

(edit)
Here's from the pdf remote manual:

No light - your remote control
is switched off or in power
saving mode.

Flashing blue light - your
remote control is searching for
your GO.

Solid blue light - your remote
control is connected to your
GO.

Red light - battery power is
low. Replace the batteries as
soon as possible.

Last edited:
Is the remote ALWAYS on or does it turn on when an initial button is pressed after maybe a SLEEP cycle? Maybe yours is always on and attempting communications when it should hibernate or similar??? Total speculation on how it works. It would certainly be a waste of battery power to always be seeking the main unit - no?

(edit)
Here's from the pdf remote manual:

No light - your remote control
is switched off or in power
saving mode.

Flashing blue light - your
remote control is searching for
your GO.

Solid blue light - your remote
control is connected to your
GO.

Red light - battery power is
low. Replace the batteries as
soon as possible.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I saw that from the manual as well. My remote behaves excatly like what is described from the manual. But batteries still go dead after 2 days, I am starting to think there may be something wrong with the remote. :-(

When you first press any button on the remote the blue LED comes on and maybe 30 seconds later the GPS says the remote is detected. I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I think that blue LED stays on the whole time I'm in my car after intitially connecting.

The main thing I use the remote for is zooming in and out, but I do that fairly often. Like I said, I'm still using the original batteries over a month later, and my commute is ~90 minutes each way. When the TomTom shuts off, the LED goes out on the remote.

So it really sounds like something might be wrong with some of the remotes, since even taking in account different usage patterns, 2 days vs 37 days is a HUGE difference.

When you first press any button on the remote the blue LED comes on and maybe 30 seconds later the GPS says the remote is detected. I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I think that blue LED stays on the whole time I'm in my car after intitially connecting.

The main thing I use the remote for is zooming in and out, but I do that fairly often. Like I said, I'm still using the original batteries over a month later, and my commute is ~90 minutes each way. When the TomTom shuts off, the LED goes out on the remote.

So it really sounds like something might be wrong with some of the remotes, since even taking in account different usage patterns, 2 days vs 37 days is a HUGE difference.
After remote is connected, blue light on remote will turn off aboot 10 seconds later from last key pressed. As long as there is no key press, then there will be no light on the remote. I think these are consistent on both of our remotes.

Yep, you're right. I looked at this specifically this morning and noticed the blue light turned off after it wasn't used for awhile. But the next time I pushed a button it was immediately recognized by the GPS.

I've been having this exact same problem since I purchased the 920. I have contacted support a number of times but have not gotten any worthwhile response from them.

Short of taking the batteries out of the remote after each use (major pain) I haven't found any other way to prevent dead batteries after two days.

If anyone has found a solution to this, please let me know.

I've been having this exact same problem since I purchased the 920. I have contacted support a number of times but have not gotten any worthwhile response from them.

Short of taking the batteries out of the remote after each use (major pain) I haven't found any other way to prevent dead batteries after two days.

If anyone has found a solution to this, please let me know.

Found this info on TT's website:

Note: If you do not use your remote control for 20 seconds, it goes into power saving mode. If you do not use your remote control for one hour,
the remote control switches off completely. Press any button to switch your remote control back on.

I'm having exactly the same problem with my remote control, recently bought with a 920 t. The batteries just keep dying after a couple of days. Has anyone found a fix for this yet, or a reason why it might be happening?

My 920 arrived late yesterday afternoon and apart from the lack of a case (what cheapskates!) it all seems good... but here I am, sitting at my desk working and the tomtom remote control is flashing red/blue on my desk. Maybe this is a record then, for time-to-dead batteries?

I guess I will replace with some new betteries and see what happens.

However, there must be some logical explanation for the different experiences found in this thread. I was wondering whether the existence of other bluetooth devices being turned on in the vicinity (my cellphone) could prevent the remote from going to sleep? I guess I could try that out if the problem persists. Then all we need to do is keep our remotes in old tobacco tins to stop them from going flat! My grandfather would be amused - he kept everything in old tobacco tins :)

Batteries going dead too quick

I just purchased a Go 920 and have the problem with remote batteries dying way to soon. After 4 days I'm on my third set of batteries.

I was hoping there was some answer to this problem on this thread but found none.

Hopefully someone will be able to help remedy this all too common problem.

-D

Remote Battery Dies

I just started using the remote on my 920. So far two sets of batteries dead, the originals and a second set, in 4 days. Anyone get this fixed????

Ask a Question