Refurbished

TomTom Model(s)
I bought a refurbished 720 from Radio Shack and I'm wondering if I can get the Latest Map for it from Tomtom.

As a rule (TomTom policy), refurbs do NOT come with the Latest Map Guarantee and they only have a 6 month warranty.

Having said that, a few with refurbs have gotten the latest map added to their account after contacting support (866-486-6866).

Good luck!

I just got my refurb XL330 from Circuitcity online and I hooked it up this morning. The first thing I tried was a map update and it said I did not qualify for a free upgrade.

However, I then updated the unit itself to the latest navcore version and ran the map update again via the 'Tools' menu in TomTom Home and it downloaded the latest 8.30.2323 maps! Suhweet!

Last edited:
And now for your test.....

What are you going to do right now, without passing Go, and without collecting $200?? :eek:

That's right.............an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. ;)

Home's backup/restore operations have been known to be flakey at times:
  1. Some files get missed
  2. Sometimes, files get renamed or the case of the file gets switched (all upper or mixed)
  3. The backup only overwrites the preceding one in the same folder while, with Explorer, YOU get to name the folder you want for each backup.
  4. Etc.

I know this has already been said, but I decided to call TomTom just now and ask about the LMG and it's true. No more LMG for refurbed devices unless your box came with a LMG card, in which they will require you to mail it to them for proof. Also, if the rep happens to like you, they'll just give you the LMG anyways even though you have a refurbed device.

All due respect but my above post shows that simply isn't the case. I had no code or anything in my box but TomTom Home still allowed me to download and install the lates map files.

We're not denying that some people are getting the LMG -- coupon or not . All we're saying is that TT can and HAS refused the lmg for refurb owners.

Ah, I see. That's a bit random isn't it? You'd think they'd at least try and be consistent across the board.

They supposedly became more stringent in their policy about a year ago. In Europe, they started being more restricitve with refurbs about a month ago.

I noticed that DHN. At least they're moving towards being consistent with the policy instead of differnt rules for EU and NA..

The tech support guy told me straight up that they are trying to push sales for new devices. The refurbished 720's has held them back a bit since a refurbished 720 is really cheap in price, and has so much power in what it can do. A 720 can do almost anything than compared to higher end models.

Personally I think they screwed up by allowing a 720 to get all of the features of a 730, and nearly identical to a 920/930 as well. I mean, what the heck was the point of allowing a 720 to get the functions of a 730? They shot themselves in the foot. I'm not complaining though, since my 720 is pretty much identical to a 930 with the exception of EPT( I think that's what it's called) and EU map.. I got my 720 when LMG was being offered to refubished devices not even a year ago yet. They had no choice now but to remove LMG for refurbished devices.

Why an explorer backup and not using TomTom home? Just curious?
A simple answer is because you need a backup to be reliable which is something Home is not capable of, when the going gets tough even the TT customer support advice is to perform a Windows Explorer back up, this kinda tells you they don't trust their own software (I certainly don't) - Mike

A simple answer is because you need a backup to be reliable which is something Home is not capable of, when the going gets tough even the TT customer support advice is to perform a Windows Explorer back up, this kinda tells you they don't trust their own software (I certainly don't) - Mike

Isn't that sad? :rolleyes:

I remember when I first got my ONE XL. I would religiously do backups all the time using Home. One day I needed to restore the backup using Home and of course, it failed and left me out to rot. Support has told me on 2 different occasions to make a backup of my device using explorer as well.

I just bought a refurb 130S from RadioShack and hooked it up and it said that there was a new map update and it allowed me to update. Maybe my refurbed unit was newer than 6 months.

Ask a Question