Refurbished map update?

TomTom Model(s)
One 130
I just placed an order for a GO 720 (Refurbished) from Radio Shack and am anxiously awaiting it. My question is, will it come with the most recent maps, or will I be able to get the "Map Guarantee" since it is a refurb?

Thank you,
Dana

I just placed an order for a GO 720 (Refurbished) from Radio Shack and am anxiously awaiting it. My question is, will it come with the most recent maps, or will I be able to get the "Map Guarantee" since it is a refurb?

Thank you,
Dana

I too ordered one from Radio Shack almost a month ago. You most likely will have to call tech support, they will have you fax or scan/email a copy of your receipt, and then they will add the latest map wo your account. You can always try it from TomTom Home first though. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE LATEST NAVCORE FIRST!

I too ordered one from Radio Shack almost a month ago. You most likely will have to call tech support, they will have you fax or scan/email a copy of your receipt, and then they will add the latest map wo your account. You can always try it from TomTom Home first though. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE LATEST NAVCORE FIRST!

Thank you, I don't know if I will be able to. I just read on the TomTom website for all refurbs they have a 6mo. warranty and do NOT offer the latest map guarantee.

How do I know if I have the latest Navcore? Is that done automatically through the TomTom Home?

Thank you again.

Thank you, I don't know if I will be able to. I just read on the TomTom website for all refurbs they have a 6mo. warranty and do NOT offer the latest map guarantee.

How do I know if I have the latest Navcore? Is that done automatically through the TomTom Home?

Thank you again.

I purchased that exact same 720 you are looking at, from Radio Shack. Don't worry, you will get the LMG. At least I and a whole bunch of other members did. We purchased from Radio Shack within the last month.

I must advise that you buy your 720 from CompUSA instead though. It's also $169.99 and it comes with a full 1 year warranty, AND you have the option to purchase an additional 1 year, 2 year, or even 3 year warranty.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3809100&CatId=2372

And yes, the Home software will have you download the latest software. When ever you complete an installation, keep hitting "update my GO" untill there are no more updates available.

Wow, I feel kinda ripped off now. lol My brother bought my 720 about 6-9 months ago for over $400 new and I just bought it from him a few weeks ago for $150 and though I was getting an ok deal on it. Man, 20 more dollars and could have got a warrenty and all that fun stuff. :(

I purchased that exact same 720 you are looking at, from Radio Shack. Don't worry, you will get the LMG. At least I and a whole bunch of other members did. We purchased from Radio Shack within the last month.

I must advise that you buy your 720 from CompUSA instead though. It's also $169.99 and it comes with a full 1 year warranty, AND you have the option to purchase an additional 1 year, 2 year, or even 3 year warranty.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3809100&CatId=2372

And yes, the Home software will have you download the latest software. When ever you complete an installation, keep hitting "update my GO" untill there are no more updates available.

Just plugged it in and I get "Latest Map Guarantee has expired for this device".

I might try to call them tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me if it is even worth pursuing the upgrade? I have 7.10 actually, not 7.15 and if I end up having to pay $100 would it be worth it for the new map?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if it is even worth pursuing the upgrade? I have 7.10 actually, not 7.15 and if I end up having to pay $100 would it be worth it for the new map?

Thanks.

NOOOOO like I said, you have to call them to get the LMG. Don't even think of purchasing anything :eek:

I got the same message too. Their LMG though the Home software is not accurate. You will call tech support, tell them you just got the unit, and that you want LMG. They will direct you to the TomTom site, log-in, then click on "my open questions" then from there they will show you where you will have the function to attatch a document to the question. This document will be a scanned copy of your receipt. Radio Shack throws in an invoice in the Box. It should be the sheet that reads "This item cannot be returned to a store." With me they stayed on the line the whole time while I uploaded the receipt, they then verified it, and within 5 minutes on the phone, he says "ok, you're all set. You will see the newest map available for download when you hit 'update my GO'"

Trust me, I bought the SAME EXACT unit you did.

Ohh and by the way, my unit also came with map 7.10

Last edited:
Awesome!!! Thank you again. I just got off the phone with tech support and they are going to add the maps to my account just like you said. I really appreciate your response and assistance, you just saved my over $100.

Thank you again.
Dana

Awesome!!! Thank you again. I just got off the phone with tech support and they are going to add the maps to my account just like you said. I really appreciate your response and assistance, you just saved my over $100.

Thank you again.
Dana

Make sure you have room for the new map. A recent post by a 720 owner was how to make room, as when he tried to install the new map - he was told there was not enough room.

Read dhn's post on the room subject (today's post) - plus my following one - it is easier if you get your unit set up first before trying to download and install the new map.

Make sure you have room for the new map. A recent post by a 720 owner was how to make room, as when he tried to install the new map - he was told there was not enough room.

Read dhn's post on the room subject (today's post) - plus my following one - it is easier if you get your unit set up first before trying to download and install the new map.

Thank you, I got the reply too late, but it didn't effect it at all. I noticed that when the map was downloading from Tom Tom Home it displayed "replacing map content". When all was done I now have the 8.15 map and the old one is nowhere to be found.

Thanks again to all, this forum and advice is definitely unprecedented.

Don't know about your map but I will explain what the situation is with mine:

I have a 910 and got an email from TomTom with a couple of subjects of information, one was 'Map update service' which I followed and ending up paying $99 only to find this new map that the link took me to was not covered by their update service and that is something different.. 'Rip off 1'.

After installing the map I find that all my favourites had gone, everything else was intact but all the favoutites from the last 18 months had dissaperared, now why couldn't the map update just leave them intact? it's not rocket science to do this... anyway, I got another email from them 5 days after I had paid $99 for an updated map and find they had just updated the map I bought. This is when I discovered I had not purchased a map from the 'Map update service' which was the link I used and that if I wanted that map I would have to pay again 'Rip off 2'. Alart from the misleading and confusing system that had me purchase a map and not a map update I would have expected at least a 30 day grace period when buying a new map as generally most all professional software companies allow.

I think the whole TomTom system/web site/software/support is confusing and unhelpful, I sometimes think that they are trying to shove all the information in a couple of boxes without sorting it out properly (totally unorganised) as a way of not spending money on setting up a helpful informative and user friendly web site and software...

... the next sat nav I buy will not be a TomTom.

Last edited:
mikebr- I don't think you would want the newest map - it is probably 815 and you would have to go to application 7.9 to use it. If you have already gone to 7.9, I would go back to an earlier version. I don't believe many of the new features of 815 will work on your 910 anyway. Which Map and application versions do you currently have on your 910?

You should be able to copy your MapSettings.cfg file from a backup map folder to your new map and get (I believe - unless they are in the POI file) your favorites back.

Tomtom told me they did not offer the latest map update on refurbished units, however I went ahead and order this GPS Navigator I noticed that that's not always the case as the maps where out of date, and I was in fact able to use the latest map guarentee, I am seriously displeased with my unit though... the memory sucks, and if they updates get any bigger I'll be out of luck :)

Ask a Question