Red X but cannot delete or copy files from XL

TomTom Model(s)
One, XL
I was getting the big red X

Got some instructions here:
http://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/1575.html

However, when I connect the Tom Tom to my computer through the usb cable, I am being told that the disk must be reformatted.

I can see the files, but I cannot delete files, nor can I copy them. When I try to delete a file, the system takes a long time "Calculating", then tells me there is something wrong with the file, and all the files disappear. I can repeat this ad infinitum.

Reset does not help.

What do I do now?

I have Windows 7.

Last edited:
Are you using Explorer to try to copy the files? Is it any file you are trying to delete? Are you using the cable that came with the unit? Are you using a usb port on the back of the computer, not the front.

And what model exactly do you have? If not sure, put the first 2 characters of the serial number in this link:
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/c/2355

Thanks for the reply!

Are you using Explorer to try to copy the files?
Yes.

Is it any file you are trying to delete?
Just the files listed in this fix I found for the flashing Red X problem.
http://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/1575.html

Are you using the cable that came with the unit?
Yes.
Are you using a usb port on the back of the computer, not the front.
It's a laptop, so I'm using one on the side. The Device Manager indicates that there are two embedded "Generic USB Hub" devices, but I don't think that should be a problem, since they are the interface for the two USB 3.0 host controllers.

And what model exactly do you have?
If not sure, put the first 2 characters of the serial number in this link:
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/c/2355
It's a TomTom XL model 4ET03

When I put the first two characters of the serial number (GJ) in the link you provided, I get the following.
XL IQ Routes ² / XL 250 / XL 350 - 2GB TTS*

It's troubling that the computer does not see the unit as a removable drive, or does it? What does My Computer show?

Does the computer have any usb ports that are not USB 3.0?

If you look at the contents of the unit using Explorer, can you delete the loose files in the root of the unit but NO folders or their contents.

It's troubling that the computer does not see the unit as a removable drive, or does it? What does My Computer show?
Shows it as a disk drive, but with errors. When it's connected, it says the disk must be scanned. If I skip the scan, I can see the files. But if I try to copy or delete any of the files, after a minute or so, the system tells me the disk must be formatted before I can use it, and I can no longer see any files. However, I can eject the unit, reconnect it and go through the same process.

If I allow the scan to proceed, I never get to see any files, because a message box appears telling me that I must format the disk before I can use it.

Does the computer have any usb ports that are not USB 3.0
No.

If you look at the contents of the unit using Explorer, can you delete the loose files in the root of the unit but NO folders or their contents.
I can see the files, but I cannot manipulate them in any way. Any attempt to manipulate any file results in a message box that says the disk must be formatted before I can use it.

Canb you right click the drive represented by the tomtom and select 'repair' from the menu?

Canb you right click the drive represented by the tomtom and select 'repair' from the menu?

As soon as I power on the TomTom, a message box appears saying:

-> Scan and fix (recommended)
This will prevent future problems when copying files to this device or disk.

-> Continue without scanning
If I choose to "Continue without scanning", right click on the drive, and select "Properties", it takes about 2 minutes before the Properties dialog appears.
Under the "Hardware" tab, I see
Code:
All disk drives:
Name                          Type
Hitachi HTS727550A9E364       Disk drives
hp DVDRAM GT1L                DVD/CD-ROM drives
TomTom ONE                    Disk drives
Under the Tools tab, I see "Error checking. This option will check the drive for errors". I don't see a "repair" option.

If I click the "Check now" button, a message box appears saying, "The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk."

When I eject the device, reconnect it, and power it on again, the "Scan and fix" message box appears again. If I choose the option to "Scan and fix", a few minutes pass and another message box appears telling me that I must format the disk before using it.

Is it possible to format this disk and re-install the whole Tom Tom OS and maps, etc?

If you format the disk without a backup of your map, you are in trouble. If the map that was on the disk was an upgrade from the original, then it should be still on the computer here:
(path is for xp, it'll vary a bit for W7)
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

If you find it there, it can be reinstalled manually. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

But, as I said, without a backup or the map in the location I provided, you'd need to repurchase the map.

If you format the disk without a backup of your map, you are in trouble. If the map that was on the disk was an upgrade from the original, then it should be still on the computer here:
(path is for xp, it'll vary a bit for W7)
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

If you find it there, it can be reinstalled manually. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

But, as I said, without a backup or the map in the location I provided, you'd need to repurchase the map.

OK. I believe I can find the map. And even if I can't, I'd be willing to buy another.

But where are the instructions for formatting the TomTom disk and re-installing the OS and everything else, besides just the map?

When you format the tomtom disk, use fat 32.

Then connect the unit to Home. you should be offered an application. Install and disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Next, you have to deal with the map. If you have it on the computer, you can reinstall it. If not, connect to Home-->Add maps-->and go through the purchase process.

Ask a Question