Red X blinking in right corner of Tom Tom one v2

Hello!
I got a Tom Tom One v2 on eBay and it work fine until I wanted to update it. I used TomTom Home v2 to check for possible updates. While it was downloading and installed about 50% of the update, I got this error message: component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)[nslExternalProtokolService.loadURI]

After this it does not load the GPS device. The worst, I think, I can no longer see the contents of the system in the GPS. The computer recognizes it as unformatted disk and prompts me to format it. Silly didn't back it up. Poor me. Do you have any possible solutions'suggestions? I tried resetting and held the switch on button for 15 seconds but no luck. Is there anyway to get a new gps core, I mean just the os without maps?
it is horrible the computer not recognizes the unit.

If you can help, please do so. Thanks a lot.

That's the problem with TomTom Home, when it crashes you're SOL.
I hope you have a backup.

Had this happen to me as well.. Here is the response from TomTom:

Do exactly what they say. Back out HOME2 and go to 1.5. then it works.

Good luck!

James

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support, our goal is to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We would be happy to help you with the red x error on your One.

Based on the information that you provided we believe your unit has an application error. In order to correct this error we would ask that you follow all of the instructions below:

Download and install the latest version of TomTom HOME from the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/HOME.

Format the hard-disk via 'My Computer'

- Connect the TomTom to the computer.

- Open 'My Computer'.

- Right click on the TomTom icon (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.

- Select 'Format' and 'Format' and the TomTom is now formatted.

This will now enable your device to be seen by TomTom HOME.

Reinstall the application and maps

- After the unit is formatted, close 'My Computer' and start TomTom HOME.

- TomTom HOME will automatically find your updates.

- Follow the onscreen instructions.

- This will install your applcation and map data back to your unit.

Reinstall the voices

- On the left hand side of TomTom HOME select Visit Online Store.

- From the next menu select Voices.

- Scroll down until you see the free english speaking voices.

- Select and download the ones you want.

- Follow the onscreen instructions.

- This will reinstall your voices.

Your unit will now be completely reinstalled and back to original working condition.
If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Map

I had the same prob..... followed the instructions above. TomTom is now working, bit no map!!!! And the map download is not coming up on the updates!!! Only one I can find, I have to buy!!! Any ideas??

Dont reformat hard drive

I followed instructions above when my brand new TomTom 130s showed a red "x" after setup, and assumed everything would reload when it booted up for the first time. Unfortunately, I hadn't yet made a backup, and once the maps are deleted, they are gone. :mad: The only way I was able to get a free copy from customer service is because I hadn't yet invoked my "one month free" copy.

You're better off checking out the tomtom.com support section (http://www.tomtom.com/9091) and following directions there... or do the following at your own risk:

This is an email that one of the TT user got from TT Customer care for a similar issue:

In this email you will find the solution for the error on your TomTom. This solution can be used in the following situations:

? The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
? An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
? A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
? The device can?t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/7602

If you don?t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on 'Backup and Restore -> Backup' in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
? IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]

After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
? TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not:-
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc -> Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device', then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.:eek: :eek:

If none of this works, call TT customer service with your ebay receipt in-hand. They'll probably request that you fax it in to them in order to activate the Latest Map Guarantee, since it's a second-hand unit.

Can anyone tell me how to get my tomtom working again! I decided to add poi's to my tomtom one new edition. Now it's saying No Maps Found? and error incident 577689. Can anyone help!

Speed Camera's Lost?

My TT doesn't show any speed camera's anymore? Looked in Poi's carn't find anything there. It's a TT one. :confused:

Ask a Question