Red/White X

What were you doing -- or not doing -- that resulted in that?

The red X is a consequence of the unit not seeing or recognizing the application.

First thought.....have you tried a reset of the unit? (hold the power button about 10-15 seconds on the unit).

Do you have an Explorer backup? If so, and the computer recognizes when the unit is connected, then you can use Explorer to restore your backup.

You can also remove all the loose files (NO Folders or their contents) in the root of the unit using Explorer, connect to Home and reinstall the offered application.

Also see here

Nice waste of 3 hours...

Same time you replied I was on the phone with TomTom Support.

Unit showed up on my PC but just said to reformat. So, I had to reformat the drive and download everything from scratch.

It still consistently reboots before "Live" data comes in at first start. I cannot believe this is normal.

Lost my 30 day Map Guarantee as of now. It was on 855 maps before the crash and now it is back to 850 maps. Will have to see if they will give me the update.

After the updates, are you disconnecting the unit properly from Home using the Device disconnect icon?

Lost my 30 day Map Guarantee as of now. It was on 855 maps before the crash and now it is back to 850 maps. Will have to see if they will give me the update.
There's actually some very good news in that. If you already did the update to 855 maps on that unit, there will be a copy of the 855 map file on your PC and we can get those reloaded once you're stable again.

If you look in the folder C:\My Documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\complete\map you should see one or more folders there. Your 855 map should be in the most recent folder. If so, let us know because there is a way to recover 855 from there.

Edit: whoops -- you posted just before I did. If you're returning the unit and getting another on RMA, be advised that your old map will NOT load on your new unit. However, you'll be able to do the 30 day again on the unit that they send you if it doesn't have the current map (and it seems they never do).

I've heard that app 8.562 is much more reliable (reboot-wise) on the LIVE units.

If the new device still reboots (I bet it will), just perform these steps. The device will install app 8.562, then restart and offer 9.058. Just decline the second install of 9.058.

If that works for you, keep track of this forum to see if a newer app comes out that might fix the issue.

Ask a Question