Red Light and Speeding Cameras in DC

D

DarkPuma

I've gotten way too many tickets for being 3-5 mph over the limit in DC city limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DarkPuma - I've been working on a speed camera POI for DC for some time now. The problem is that unlike red light cameras, which are at a fixed intersection, most speed cameras are mobile. Both DC and Mont County have identified possible locations where cameras *might* be on a given day.

For instance, there is possible zone on Blair Rd. I drive that stretch everyday and have been for some time. About a week ago, they put up a mobile camera. It won't always be there.

The problem with this is that what you really need is a warning that you're entering the zone and one that you're exiting. That, of course, depends on direction. But POI's don't sense what direction you're travelling. So I'm still trying to figure out the next best system.

btw, you shouldn't be getting tickets for anything below 11 mph over the speed limit. That's how the cameras are supposed to be set.

DarkPuma - I've been working on a speed camera POI for DC for some time now. The problem is that unlike red light cameras, which are at a fixed intersection, most speed cameras are mobile. Both DC and Mont County have identified possible locations where cameras *might* be on a given day.

For instance, there is possible zone on Blair Rd. I drive that stretch everyday and have been for some time. About a week ago, they put up a mobile camera. It won't always be there.

The problem with this is that what you really need is a warning that you're entering the zone and one that you're exiting. That, of course, depends on direction. But POI's don't sense what direction you're travelling. So I'm still trying to figure out the next best system.

btw, you shouldn't be getting tickets for anything below 11 mph over the speed limit. That's how the cameras are supposed to be set.

I have some locations for speed traps in the DC/VA/MD area. What has worked for me is to identify them just like any other POI. TomTom will alert me when I am approaching a known speed trap area. This has worked great for me. If they are not there, then fine. But there has been a few times in which the speed trap has been in place. I think I would do the same for the speed cameras.

I have some locations for speed traps in the DC/VA/MD area. What has worked for me is to identify them just like any other POI. TomTom will alert me when I am approaching a known speed trap area. This has worked great for me. If they are not there, then fine. But there has been a few times in which the speed trap has been in place. I think I would do the same for the speed cameras.

The problem is that some of them are very long. For instance, there's one that goes for like 20 blocks in DC. The ones in MC are even longer. And the trap can be *anywhere* in that distance. So if I put a marker at only one end, you wouldn't know until you were leaving depending on your direction of travel.

I can put it at both ends, but even that still leaves the issue of turning onto the street in the middle of the trap. Picture this:

A _______________ B
|
|
C

You'd get a warning when you passed A and when you passed B. But if you turned onto that road from Road C, you'd get nada until you were leaving.

that may be how the MD ones are set- the ones in DC are much less forgiving.

I'd really be interested in having this too, even if it was only the fixed cameras.

Ask a Question