Recommended SD card for TomTom One XL

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I've searched around and read that 2GB is the max size card you should use to avoid ANY trouble at ALL and that the card cannot be SDHC. I see that many people have gotten 4gb cards to work but have to use a card reader to add files or blah blah. I'd rather not go through all that. So a standard 2GB SD card will do?

I think I remember reading somewhere that the card should be high speed but I'm not certain on that. Is there a specific 2gb card that will run perfectly with this device? What recommended brand and speed (10x 60x 150x?)

Thanks all

My understanding is that any 2 gig card formatted for fat should work and higher speed is better than low speed. But, the sdhc cards work reliably only for the x20 and x30 models.

I'm using a SanDisk 2 GB Extreme III SD Card with no problems although I really would like to try a larger sized card.

If I find a good deal on a SDHC I'll will give it a try seeing that I already have a card reader.

Well, I'm curious as to how a sdhc card functions in a non x20 or x30 unit. I was told, perhaps incorrectly, that there are problems using a sdhc in a unit such as yours.

I'm using a SanDisk 2 GB Extreme III SD Card with no problems although I really would like to try a larger sized card.

If I find a good deal on a SDHC I'll will give it a try seeing that I already have a card reader.

From what I read on wiki, they claim that non SDHC devices just cannot read SDHC cards since they both have different memory addressing methods. The only time people here have to use memory card readers is because they are trying to write to a 4GB standard SD card, not to write to SDHC cards. From what people here say, the TomTom devices (Like the ONE) cannot write to something bigger than 2gb.

Below is copied from wiki

*Devices that do not specifically support SDHC do not recognize SDHC memory cards.
*It uses the same form factor as SD, but the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

Last edited:
That's my point. Non x20 or x30 models aren't capable of reading sdhc cards, to my understanding. But hey ....... it's your money.

And I have been known to be wrong.........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's my point. Non x20 or x30 models aren't capable of reading sdhc cards, to my understanding. But hey ....... it's your money.

And I have been known to be wrong.........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At least he has a good reader. My friend bought a 16GB SDHC 150x card and it wouldn't work on his phone, but he did have a small USB reader, so now that has become his 16GB thumbdrive which is pretty cool. I thought my 8gb thumb drive was already cool :(

You could also read my report using a 4GB SDHC card in my ONE XL-S here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7336

Unless I had a confirmed report of it working right, I would not go over 4GB on ONE models because of its USB older standard. I also since learned the Boot Loader (system) is the part responsible for reading and writing to external memory for NavCore. It can be considered the driver for external memory on the Linux based NavCore of our TT.

With either card, you would be playing it safe as they seem to be simple SD cards officially supported. The adds are short on detailed specs as to speed and the faster card would be preferable particularly so when used with a card reader which removes the slow USB transfer of the TT which can be a pain when wanting to backup, restore or large file handling.

Thanks Gilbert, i had noticed when backing up, it takes a while, but that was using the usb connection. Am i correct in thinking once i have the sd card, i should back up my tomtom, then copy the contents over to the sd card?

Thanks

Thanks Gilbert, i had noticed when backing up, it takes a while, but that was using the usb connection. Am i correct in thinking once i have the sd card, i should back up my tomtom, then copy the contents over to the sd card?

Thanks

Yes, copy EVERYTHING over to the SD card. The bigger card is great for adding that much much much bigger POI list.

Brill, thanks both. Ill get the ebay SD card and go from there. Main reason being there is an app update that i cant insatll as i have run out of room in the internal memory.

Thanks again

wonder

Just wondering will this card 4GB read and write on my TT ONE XL ?

Transcend 4GB 150X (18MB/sec) Secure Digital Card

I really like to put my US/CANADA and W/C europe on one card. I cant even fit the whole W/C Europe on 2GB.

Just wondering will this card 4GB read and write on my TT ONE XL ?

Transcend 4GB 150X (18MB/sec) Secure Digital Card

I really like to put my US/CANADA and W/C europe on one card. I cant even fit the whole W/C Europe on 2GB.

I think you may have to use a card reader to write to a card above the 2gb mark. I've read that the TomTom can read 4 gigs but can only write up to 2 gigs.

Ask a Question