Re-order menu's TT 910

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to re-arrange the menus so that the clear route is not so deep into the menu system. Ideally i would like to arrange it so that the 'save me' option is on the second page, the prepare route is on the third page, and then the Clear route is on the first page.

I basically just need to know which file to edit and I should be able to arrange the stuff that i need to by studying and modifying the code.

Thanks for any kicks in the right direction.

You would think TT would allow 'clear route' to be an option on the quickmenu but they have not.

If you have firmware 8x, it won't be easy developing a custom menu, I think.

I used TomTom Menu Builder. It enables you to make custom menus, and change the order to whatever you want. You can also delete the step that asks you to confirm cancellation of a route.

I don't know how you can get this app. It was developed by Gregory Duncan, and I don't know if it is still available.

Good luck!

Andy

Does anyone know where to get the installer for this? i did some searching around and could not find it anywhere. It sounds like exactly what i need.

I have a copy of the TomTom Menu Builder Beta 1.1 zipped 809KB. Works great for me. Not sure how to make it available?

I've been using my own custom menu on my GO920 for so long so that I can't even remember what the original menu looks like. I don't own a GO910 so I can't tell what can or cannot be done but I use Notepad to create my menu where I put Clear Route and TripMaster on the first page.

The only down-side to using a custom menu with NavCore 8.x is that some of the newest icons aren't available, such as, "Map Corrections," "Help Me," & "Safety Prefs." So, you may lose some functionality, but if you don't ever use Help or make corrections, it shouldn't matter.

This is due to TomTom dropping support for their Software Development Kit. Before they broke 3rd-party app compatablilty, there was a program called, MenuTT, which allowed you to switch back & forth between the default menu & your own custom. :mad:

Edit:
Here's a great write-up on BirdMan's site, with step-by-step instructions for customizing your TomTom's menu: http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/Custom_menu.html

Last edited:
With GO920,
+ "Help Me" can be accessed from Quick Menu
+ "Map Correction" can be accessed from Browse Maps -> Blue Circle button
+ "Safety Preferences" can be accessed from Change Preferences.

I've been using my own custom menu on my GO920 for so long so that I can't even remember what the original menu looks like. I don't own a GO910 so I can't tell what can or cannot be done but I use Notepad to create my menu where I put Clear Route and TripMaster on the first page.

Which file do I edit for the menus? I should be able to re-order stuff just by reading the code.

Edit- nevermind, I see the. Next post had the info that I needed. Going to try this out tonight.

Last edited:
Menu option to change between default and custom

I have been putting off upgrade to ver 8 for many reasons. One is that my small program to switch between my custom menu and Tomtom's default works only once with navcore 8, then I have to change it manually via windows notepad.
Anybody know of a program that works with ver 8?

Thought I'd let everyone know that I just used Menu Designer Beta to set up new menus on my GO 630. So I can confirm that this software still works with the latest NavCore. Some of the icon labels are out of date, but those can be edited in the software. Some of the icons are out of date, and some of the newer icons and features aren't available. but even so, it was still an improvement over the OEM menus. I was able to work around most of the missing features by putting them on my Quick Start screen. :cool:

And like the OP, I moved "Clear Route" to the first screen. Sooo much better! :)

You do have the option to alter the text AND the icon used by simply editting the TomTom.mnu file with NotePad on the PC, the following is a menu text file I was playing with last year to put the icons from the x40 on to a 720:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|"Navigate_To.bmp"|"Navigate To..."|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|"Find_Alternate.bmp"|"Find Alternative"|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|"Clear_Route.bmp"|"Clear Route"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|"View_Route.bmp"|"View Route"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|"Change_Preferences.bmp"|"Change Preferences"|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SERVICE_LOGIN|"TomTom_Services.bmp"|"Tomom Services"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PHONE|"Mobile_Phone.bmp"|"Mobile Phone"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MULTIMEDIA|"Music_and_Media.bmp"|"Music and Media"|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|"Browse_Map.bmp"|"Browse Map"|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|"Itinerary_Planning.bmp"|"Multi-Stop Planning"|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|"Prepare_Route.bmp"|"Prepare Route"|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

If we look at the first main menu option:

MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|"Navigate_To.bmp"|"Navigate To..."|

The red part is the file name for the bmp file (the image/ icon displayed on the device) the bmp files should reside in the sdkregistry folder, the blue part is the text displayed under the icon.

You can really mess around with the menu options and icons creating a very customised appearance for the device if you want to, but HelpMe and MapShare will never show up when running a custom menu as they are called in a different way from within the application - Mike

New user, Same question.. sort of....

G'day all,

I have a couple of questions that is related to this and was hoping some of the long time users here might have answers to,

1. Does anyone have a full list of the new menu task's used in the GO 730? or knows how to get them from the device itself.

2. is it possible to edit the quick menu to add items not listed ?, and if so how eg. via a menublock in the TomTom.mnu file or does it require a separate file ?

I hope TomTom themselves might add this functionality to HOME sometime in a future version as all other software and lists of these commands/tasks seem to be some what outdated.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark.

Last edited:
MapShare and HelpMe cannot be called using a custom menu as these features work in a slightly different way, I can post up a full list of available text strins that we used to use from Navcore 6:

TASK_NONE
TASK_EMPTY
BTM_GPS_POSITION
BTM_DONE
BTM_TRAFFIC_INFO
TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES
TASK_SWITCH_ASN
TASK_SET_VOICE
TASK_SET_LANGUAGE
TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS
TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE
TASK_SET_GEO
TASK_SWITCH_TIPS
TASK_SET_VOLUME
TASK_SWITCH_SOUND
TASK_SHOW_STATUS
TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS
TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS
TASK_SET_BACKLIGHT
TASK_RESET_SETTINGS
TASK_SWITCH_BLUETOOTH
TASK_SWITCH_CLOCK
TASK_LEFTHANDED
TASK_ROTATE_DISPLAY
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_TYPE
TASK_SET_PROMPT
TASK_SET_COMPASS
TASK_SET_STATUS
TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW
TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES
TASK_SET_DAY_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_SET_NIGHT_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION
TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES
TASK_ADD_FAVORITE
TASK_SET_SAFETY_SPEED
TASK_SWITCH_2D3D
TASK_SET_MAP
TASK_DELETE_MAP
TASK_SHOW_MAP
TASK_SET_HIDEMAP
TASK_SWITCH_POI
TASK_CONFIGURE_POI
TASK_MAINTAIN_POI
TASK_MENU_RECALC_BLOCK
TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE
TASK_PLAN_VIA
TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES
TASK_ASK_CHANGE_OWNER
TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC
TASK_TRAFFIC_SETTINGS
TASK_TRAFFIC_ENABLE
TASK_TRAFFIC_UPDATE
TASK_TRAFFIC_REPLAN
TASK_TRAFFIC_VIEW
TASK_TRAFFIC_EXPLAIN
TASK_RDSTMC_SELECT_COUNTRY
TASK_NAVIGATE_TO
TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB
TASK_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_SET_TOLL
TASK_SET_PLANTYPE
TASK_SET_CRADLE
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_DEMO
TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_STEP_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_ABOUT
TASK_ITINERARY
TASK_TUTORIAL
TASK_EXIT_APP
TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY
TASK_SHOW_WEATHER
TASK_MANAGE_MAPS
TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD
TASK_DOWNLOAD_MAP
TASK_DOWNLOAD_POI
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VOICE
TASK_DOWNLOAD_SCHEME
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VERSION_NUMBER
TASK_SERVICE_LOGIN
TASK_HELP_GENERAL
TASK_HELP_MAINMENU
TASK_HELP_MAPBROWSER
TASK_HELP_ZOOMING
TASK_HELP_TRAFFIC
TASK_HELP_ITINERARY
TASK_HELP_PLANNING
TASK_MENU_PHONE
TASK_PAIR_WITH_PHONE
TASK_DIAL_POI
BLOCK_MAIN
BLOCK_PREF
BLOCK_CURSOR
TASK_SDK
TASK_PAGE
TASK_BUDDIES
TASK_DOC_BROWSER
TASK_IMAGE_BROWSER
TASK_IPOD
TASK_JUKEBOX
TASK_MULTIMEDIA
TASK_PLAN_TO_MAPLOC
TASK_NEARBY_POICAT
TASK_CENTER_ON_MAP
TASK_DO_ADD_FAVOURITE
TASK_CURSOR_INTO_POI
TASK_TRAVEL_VIA
MENUBLOCK
MENUPAGE
MENUITEM

I am not aware of any method to edit the QuickMenu items using text files - Mike

G'day Mike,

Thanks mate, for the reply and the list, will be very handy ;)
Lets hope TomTom can do something like a menu editor in HOME for this sometime in the future, as it would be a handy addition. Lets face it if they are using linux as a base it should be as configurable as possible, the very reason I love linux distro's in the first place. Here's to putting 'Personal' back into 'Personal Devices' :p

Just need to experiment a little to find the map correction sub menu button or is that part of the mapshare you were talking about?

Mark.

Last edited:
Gregory Duncan's web site is no longer active. Does anyone have a copy of one of the more recent versions of Menu Designer (e.g., 1.11 or 1.12) available for download or via email?

I will have a look at what I have on the PC when I get home but these days I tend to use NotePad on the PC to create the required text file from the command list posted earlier in this thread. A basic or extended menu is easy, it only gets more involved if you want to use custom icons to make an x20/ x30 have the same icons as a much newer device - Possible to do but this takes quite some time to produce the individual icons.

With the newer navcores no longer supporting custom menu there is little future in this way of customisation IMHO - Mike

I will have a look at what I have on the PC when I get home but these days I tend to use NotePad on the PC to create the required text file from the command list posted earlier in this thread. A basic or extended menu is easy, it only gets more involved if you want to use custom icons to make an x20/ x30 have the same icons as a much newer device - Possible to do but this takes quite some time to produce the individual icons.

With the newer navcores no longer supporting custom menu there is little future in this way of customisation IMHO - Mike
A lot of us will never see Navcore 9, so the tool remains useful for at least some. Hadn't thought to create any new icons -- the old ones will do just fine. Wanted to use the program to verify a few things .. the tasks aren't always 100% clear (i.e., can't be 100% certain which apply to which icons) and thought by using the builder that I could establish which are which in a few cases.

Is there a definitive break on Navcore version that does not support tomtom.mnu as an option?

Ask a Question