RDS Traffic No Longer Working

Earlier this year I thought that my 930T had completely expired, the little green light would come on but that was it, got around to taking it to a a mobile phone shop that advertised repairing Tomtoms so gave it a go. They reckoned they fixed the problem (processor chip had blown). They said it was working ok, but when I tried it the RDS traffic no longer showed, when I connect the RDS aerial if I turn it on it asks if I want to connect to the computer. If I select no it will then shut down after a couple of minutes, I found the only way for it to stay powered is to connect after turning on. Took it back to the shop & they said they had fixed the 'connecting to computer issue' (they haven't) but coul;dn't do anything about the RDS

Tried a fix I found mentioned somewhere about editing the mctx.dat file but still no luck. I'm running out of ideas what to try , wondering if I shouldn't have put the money towards a new sat nav but like the 930T it used to do everything I wanted.

Forgot to mention I am using Ver. 9.510, found something about RDS not supported after Ver 9.4???

@dhn,
I am on 9.510 with my 930 and it works with the RDS-TMC antenna cable you lent me.

Due to the other thread I learned that RDS is something akin to LIVE rather then the FM broadcasts I receive so, I do not know if the build could influence the T version.

Due to the other thread I learned that RDS is something akin to LIVE rather then the FM broadcasts I receive so...
?? RDS is the service that is provided on a subcarrier by standard FM broadcast stations. It's Plus that is somewhat more akin to Live.

I thought the battery might be a problem as it was only staying on a couple of minutes, when they 'fixed' it I was told the chip was something to do with the charging. The battery now seems to hold a charge for at least 30-45 mins. Found this http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LI...enna-amp-Application-9-400/td-p/164303/page/5

I don't get anything showing that the aerial is connected, it used to show on the right hand side of the screen even if it couldn't find a signal but now nothing at all.

If you aren't getting a written indication on the screen something like 'rds antenna detected' when you first power up the device while connected to the cig lighter, something is clearly wrong. The combo rds-tmc antenna may be buggered up.

Is there anyway I can check if the aerial is ok? I don't know anybody with a Tomtom using a RDS aerial. The aerial was left in place on the dashboard of my motorhome so can't have got physically damaged.

Not really. We are talking about the combo antenna/car charger? The one with the grey plastic 'egg' in the cord, right?

If so, plugging it into the cig lighter, powering up the device with the latest app installed should give you an indication on the device that the antenna has been detected.

It is the Tomtom one that was supplied with it, I found that if I just have the power cord plugged in & turn it on then it works ok (the Tomtom not the RDS of course) If I have it connected up - power lead into the RDS adapter then plug the adapter into the Tomtom, when I turn it on it thinks I am trying to connect to the computer. Selecting NO it will go to the nmap but will turn off after a couple of minutes, selecting YES it will just show the picture of being in the charging/PC docking station.

So, it is not this one:

USB-Lifetime-Traffic-Receiver.jpg

This one works.

Ask a Question