RDS- TMC Traffic Subscription Renewal

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720, Go 730, Go 740 Live, Go 1535 Live
Renewed my RDS-TMC Traffic Subscription for my GO730 offered in TomTom Home and ran into problems. No renewal ever appeared available to download to device. Called support and first guy started talking about backups and soft and factory resets though having renewed last year, I knew that wouldn't solve the problem. During my second call I was finally told that after 2010 renewals were no longer possible, Started to get angry till I shut up long enough to be told that TomTom is selling USB LIFETIME Traffic antennas for $55.95 which is cheaper than than the one year renewal price and is obviously a much better deal. They are going to refund what I already paid for the renewal. I have one on the way.
Other than renewals shouldn't have been offered to purchase if they weren't going to work, I'm happy with the new deal. I'm optimistic it will work as advertised.
Thought I'd give you a heads up on what I was told is going on. Took a while but TomTom support did just fine in the end.

WARNING:

The combo car charger/rds-tmc antenna sold with newer models will NOT work on Go 7x, 9x models using Navcore 8x .

I'd call CS back and see if it is a different rds-tmc antenna being offered.

Drat. I specifically asked if it was compatible with my GO 730 and was assured that it was. Might have to retract my nicey nicey about CS after all. Has anyone else reported trouble with the renewal this year?

Looks like you have mistakenly been told that the USB Traffic receiver that is available in Europe will work in the USA. This is the product as it is shown on the UK site:
RDS TMC Traffic Receiver - Accessories - TomTom

It will not work in the USA. There is no such product on the USA site. I sure wish they would introduce this product in USA. I know I would get one.

Weird....seems like physically the same unit as in my link but less expensive and there is a 'LT' in the name. Also, under 'compatibility' in your link, no model is listed. :confused:

I know eh? It should be here in the next couple of days. I'll be sure to let you know the results of the big test.

Thanks. Yes, please report back. I'll be very interested in your findings......

As an aside:
I know eh?

What's with the eh'? :D

Are you originally a Canuck! :p

Caught that huh? I was raised in Oakville. Been south of the border for about 30 years now. Return to parents cottage north of Huntsville for a visit every summer. I need traffic on my TomTom for Hwy 400!

I know eh? It should be here in the next couple of days. I'll be sure to let you know the results of the big test.

I'm curious to hear, too. For some reason, I'm tempted to get this for my Go630, even thought I realize I have little use for it, and for not much more money, I could buy a new GPS with lifetime traffic built in.

I wish they'd just offer an affordable lifetime option that would work with my old style receiver.

I''ll say again.........lifetime traffic is NOT available on the Go models, only for these

Drat. I specifically asked if it was compatible with my GO 730 and was assured that it was. Might have to retract my nicey nicey about CS after all.

For the same reason that I keep spending a dollar on the Mega Millions lottery, I keep watching to see if one day Tom Tom support will ever give info that is more accurate than this forum.

I haven't seen it happen yet, but if we start a pool, one day someone might make some good money!

ApK

I tracked the shipment and should have it later today. If this works, great, if not, no big deal other than since my subscription won't renew, I will have no traffic. The lifetime thing would be wonderful, but all I really want now is traffic to work.

As usual DHN was right. No good. What I have here is a rather expensive car charger. I get an alert message that states "Your RDS-TMC Traffic receiver cannot be used with the current map" The traffic bar does show up but there is a big red X where there should be a big green circle. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Time to work on plan C. Any suggestions?

I presume you will be able to return it....

Or, get one of the models that the unit will work with............

The list of compatible devices are here:
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems

If you keep the antenna, you just need the basic unit (unless you want an M version for Lifetime maps).

It's definitely returnable. I didn't unwrap the cord so it's repackaged exactly the way I got it. I just hate to give up my FM, MP3 player, audio books, bluetooth, Tripmaster and Mobilnova and get forced into a less capable unit. I might try a $3.39 TomTom antenna from Amazon first. A reviewer this month said it works on his 730. Still don't understand why the renewal doesn't work.

RDS-TMC for Go 730

Just spent a long time on the phone with the TomTom support team. there is no RDS-TMC receiver for the Go 730, and they do not support the old system anymore. So if you have a TomTom Go 730 traffic information via RDS-TMC is not an option anymore. Thank you very much TomTom!!! I am now waiting for my refund of the 2011 subscription for my old (and now useless) receiver and the refund for the USB LT traffic receiver that is on it's way back to TomTom. I was also initialy advised to buy the USB LT receiver..... They don't know what they are talking about at the support team and the website still clearly states that you can buy an optional traffic receiver for the GO 730

Well at least I'm not alone. Never fear I have it all figured out. I keep the antenna I just got for $55.95. I buy a Tomtom XXL 540M for $143.00. I buy a GOgroove Flex Bluetooth Fm transmitter for $49.99. That way for a measly $248.94 I can have what I had last month on my GO730 plus a wider screen and lifetime traffic and maps. I suppose I could deduct the $64.90 they are supposed to refund me for the non-subscription I would have paid for traffic this year. Will they refund a portion of my map update service paid for through the end of this year? Doubt it. I can put all my music and audiobooks on my smartphone and run it through the GOgroove instead of my 730. Won't have a working remote anymore though for the GPS. Does Tripmaster work on the newer models? This is progress? I think TomTom has officially and finally dumped us loyal GO owners.

Ask a Question