RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver

TomTom Model(s)
Hi everybody,

I have just received this traffic receiver, bought it new from tomtom. So far, I am really disappointed, and wanted to get some feedback, if it is working right, or if I need to to something to it.

Instructions that came with it are pointless. My understanding is that in the US you only get a 1 year subscription, but nowhere does it say how to activate it, so I am assuming that it activated automatically, and will basically stop working after a year.

Anyway, after connecting it, and mounting it on the windshield, I got the notification that the traffic data is up-to-date. I have been using it for 3 days now, driving in some decent traffic around rush hour in suburbs of Chicago. Not once have I seen any info about traffic, re-rounting, or anything of that nature. So, can somebody tell me, what exactly is this $120 thing supposed to tell me? I thought it would show the traffic via color on the map, show better estimation of ETA, and reroute when traffic gets heavy ( I have auto-reroute on) Is it only reserved for a couple of major highways? What am I missing here?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any info!

Hi everybody,

I have just received this traffic receiver, bought it new from tomtom. So far, I am really disappointed, and wanted to get some feedback, if it is working right, or if I need to to something to it.

Instructions that came with it are pointless. My understanding is that in the US you only get a 1 year subscription, but nowhere does it say how to activate it, so I am assuming that it activated automatically, and will basically stop working after a year.

Anyway, after connecting it, and mounting it on the windshield, I got the notification that the traffic data is up-to-date. I have been using it for 3 days now, driving in some decent traffic around rush hour in suburbs of Chicago. Not once have I seen any info about traffic, re-rounting, or anything of that nature. So, can somebody tell me, what exactly is this $120 thing supposed to tell me? I thought it would show the traffic via color on the map, show better estimation of ETA, and reroute when traffic gets heavy ( I have auto-reroute on) Is it only reserved for a couple of major highways? What am I missing here?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any info!

Call Support to get functionality clarification.

I too live in Chicago. I have been using the reciever for a bit now. At first when I started using it it was signify that there was traffic on the route and the delay was about six minutes. All the time 6 min, even though the traffic was a lot worse than that. Lately it seem to give minimal information. What i have found is that it will tell you that traffic on your route has changes. I then click the traffic bar to pull up the traffic menu. From there I cycle through all the traffic on the route. There has to be a better way of doing it. I too feel that for the amount of money spent the information could be better.

polbit. it sounds like you may not have selected specific destinations. If not, it has no route to give you updates on. It should notify you of changed conditions on your route if you are getting updated info and you have selected a destination.

If you have selected routes and have not gotten any traffic info along congested routes, then that is odd. My main problem with it has been lack of coverage by radio stations that carry the info, but it has worked OK when in areas with reception and traffic events.

There is no activation other than plugging it in. With the new software updates ( I have both a 920 and 930 ) the traffic info on your planned route will show up in the side bar with an announcement that "traffic on your route has changed". You can tap the side bar to get to a traffic option screen and then tap show traffic on route which will bring up a little map with the situation indicated, if you tap the right arrow on the screen you'll get a little more detail with the type of delay, how far away from you and the estimated time of delay which I believe is also given audibly when it first announces the delay.

When you go back to the driving screen you'll see that the highlighted color of your route has changed to white through the area of delay. Occasionally you will hear it announce "route recalculated but not changed", this is when it has determined that the delay is short and/or there is no way to route around it.

I live in Baltimore and actually find it quite useful. Not perfect but I don't know of anything out there that is. And I will be renewing the service when the time comes. Although I still can't figure out how they know you're using it.
John

Thanks guys, I actually started getting the updates and info once I set up a route. I thought that it would just show traffic in the general area of my location. It has worked once already, saved me a god half hour, so I guess I will keep it :) Just a pain with the cord... Another question though - it usually takes good 5 minutes for it to find a station and update the data. Is that about how long it takes with yours too?

Thanks again!

If I am in a spot with a strong signal. it connects and updates pretty quick. In a marginal area, the signal may fade in and out, and that will take longer.

it should take less than 2 minutes to lock and get all the events . my garmin does it that way . it all comes down to getting a good signal and unfortunaelly Chicago and NYC due to high rise buildings and low power FM stations have very bad signal compared to other NA cities. England is another example. Most Europuean countries service is ok . still i find the info sometimes useless , sometimes too late to report or even too late to clear. will improve i guess over the years.

Clear Channel TTN the traffic service provide for both manufacturers wer supposed to improve the FM coverage and signal in NYC last summer. I wonder if the did.

Still a bit confused. Is the traffic service with this antenna free? Just plug it in the TT? What happens after the one year subsrciption is over? Who do I pay to keep the traffic update coming?

I'm in the Southern Cali region. Any So Cal people use this? How's the signal? Thanks.

Z.

Still a bit confused. Is the traffic service with this antenna free? Just plug it in the TT? What happens after the one year subsrciption is over? Who do I pay to keep the traffic update coming?

I'm in the Southern Cali region. Any So Cal people use this? How's the signal? Thanks.

Z.

It should activate when you plug it in to the unit. Make sure your tomtom has your user name and passport set up, as this is what it will use going forward to let you use it.

After one year, you will get a notice that is about to expire and direct you to tomtom home, where you can subscribe for another year.

I have used it while driving down south, and the traffic coverage is generally pretty good (except when you are in some narrow valleys and canyons, then it can be spotty).

It is always changing - have to check with the website or through Home (as if you were ordering it).

Ask a Question