RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Feedback

I jus purchased my Tomtom one 3rd edition and think its great.
i was a bit disapointed that you also need to purchase the traffice receiver for traffic updates. theres only a few reviews on amazon and they werent great, but at the same time the people were from atl GA.
feedback from anyone in california/southern california is appreciated.
i really would like to know if its worth the hundred something bucks
i hope i posted this in the correct section also

I am using the RDS receiver on a 920T in the Philadelphia area, so no idea if there will be issues with your GPS in your area. But after my first week I can say I'm very pleased with how it works. The traffic info appears to be at least as accurate as what I hear on the local radio stations, and it's available whenever you need it. I was a little skeptical at first, but so far it's a useful feature and I'm glad I got it.

thnx for the info now im debated if i wanna pay one hundred something bucks for a receiver. almost as much as another tomtom one

Put it this way. How much would it cost a month if you were to use your data plan on your phone with your service provider?

Thats why I was hoping my LE would work out. I have a Sprint SERO plan, so its $30 a month for every option, including unlimited EVDO, so the data thing would have saved me money.

Oh well, the TomTom has a nice re-route function even if I do run into traffic.

add 60 usd per year for the traffic subscription after the first year free trial runs out. your sunshine state should be fine , very good coverage there , not the case for NJ/NY or UK. but keep in mind to use that extra traffic info together with the gantry signs and am radio and a lot of!!! common sense due to the technology being still very new and still improving. you should also get traffic service 24x7 in major markets in your state like Los Angeles and San francisco. for more info check the traffic provider website www.realtimetraffic.net.

the atlanta issue was probably an isolated issue , in that city Clear Channel's FM station broadcast with quite high power (ERP). most customers complaining are from NJ/NY or UK and some in Chicago , IL. other majir US and Canadian Markets get pretty good coverage due to high transmitter power levels. the exception in canada for now being Montreal, PQ, because they are broadcasting from an FM station based in Vermont, US.

Ask a Question