RDS-TMC - Subscription?

Discussion in 'TomTom Services' started by runarg, Jul 7, 2009.

1. runarg

runarg

TomTom Model(s):
    iPhone / Android / GO1015
    I live in Europe and I go to the US 2-3 times a year. I bring my GO930T including the RDS-TMC receiver, and I have always received traffic messages.
    Now, when connecting to Home, it suggests that I pay about ?40 for US RDS-TMC service for one year. I have never paid anything before. Is this a new extended service, or have do I have to pay to use the regular RDS-TMC traffic information now?
    I'm going on a long US trip next week, so it would be good to know in advance. I see nothing mentioned on the US TomTom site.

runarg, Jul 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. runarg

mikealder Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    720, 930, 940, XL, One 3rd
    Unless you have a US spec RDS-TMC receiver its a waste of time, the european model is different to the US spec version, the euro receiver doesn't work in the USA - Mike

mikealder, Jul 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. runarg

runarg

TomTom Model(s):
    iPhone / Android / GO1015
    Of course I have a US RDS-TMC receiver! I wrote in my post:

" I go to the US 2-3 times a year. I bring my GO930T including the RDS-TMC receiver, and I have always received traffic messages."

runarg, Jul 7, 2009
  4. runarg

mikealder Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    720, 930, 940, XL, One 3rd
    Then your subscription must have expired for the US spec receiver, I think you need to contact TomTom to discuss this and see if they can re-acativate the subscription for the unit to work although I have no idea what they might charge for this, I thought I recognised your user name from another forum TBH - Mike

mikealder, Jul 7, 2009
  5. runarg

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    I think it's $60 US per year after the first year (included with the antenna purchase)

dhn, Jul 7, 2009
  6. runarg

GAW

TomTom Model(s):
    Don't know if TT has fixed this yet, but they had been having problems applying renewed subscriptions through their server for the receivers. As a result, they had been swapping out new receivers for the old.

If you can, I would try calling US TT support to see their current status on this before you come here so you will be set up ahead of time.

You might also be able to log on to TT Home (select the device that has your NA map on) and log on to your TT account. Go to traffic services and see if it offers you a new RDS traffic subscription and at what price. If not, again - call US TT support.

GAW, Jul 7, 2009
  7. runarg

doctormstein1

TomTom Model(s):
    2535M Live
    rds traffic is a waste Use traffice plus services.

doctormstein1, Jul 7, 2009
  8. runarg

mvl Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 2535 LIVE, GO 1535 LIVE, GO 740 LIVE, Go 930
    All US traffic receivers are subscription based, you get a free 1-year subscription with antenna purchase. The receiver is not government sponsored like it is in Europe. US traffic is compiled by Clearchannel, which owns a number of for-profit radio stations. Clearchannel charges Tomtom, and Tomtom charges you.

PLUS (bluetooth) traffic is better quality, but you'll have to get a US SIM card and activate prepaid cell data service when you visit. May not be worth the hassle.

I believe the PLUS traffic is a single global subscription, so it would work in Europe and the US.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    mvl, Jul 11, 2009
  9. runarg

doctormstein1

TomTom Model(s):
    2535M Live
    plus traffic is the only way to go.

doctormstein1, Jul 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question