RDS-TMC subscription info

Hey everyone,

Recently, my TT notified me that my free TMC is going to run out.

I'd just like a brief bit of information about how to renew, pricing, etc.

Any helpful information and/or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I bought the new TMC sub. through TomTom Home.

Now I'm not sure if it installed through Home or not, but an email I got wants me to go to my TOmTom account in the unit itself, which isn't going to happen because my GO730 refuses to connect to my Droid, and I'm sure there's another way you can do it.

Anyone? Help?? Please. ? :)

How do I know if it installed through TT Home (if that can even happen?) or how do I activate it without using Tom Tom Account on my unit (can't connect to my Droid).

I did that a while ago, but if I remember correctly, you just need to renew it on the computer through tomtom home, then it will download a file to your tomtom.
Keep in mind that that file will continue to be download onto your tomtom until the old subscription expire, then it will activate it automatically.

I didn't know that TomTom still charged an ongoing subscription fee for FM traffic. As far as I can tell you can't even buy an FM traffic receiver as a separate add on from TomTom's website. I just paid a one time fee to get FM traffic forever. Or until TomTom goes out of business or decides not to use Clear Channel traffic for their traffic provider or decides that their IQ routes technology is better than FM traffic and discontinues FM traffic entirely. Whichever comes first.

IQ routes can't beat traffic that's for sure.

Yes, they use Clearchannel.

Here's the situation now:

There was no way to activate my subscription - I don't even think they know what they are doing!? (Their 3 separate suggestions to get new subsctription onto my unit failed).

Now they are refunding me my money, i.e, : my TomTom 730T becomes useless.
They said I can give buying it again a shot ... and if that doesn't work, refund again.

The email I got from buying the subscription says I need to activate through TomTom account on the unit - but since the unit never ever connects to any phone I have had, that's not gonna happen!

Can it even install normally via TomTom Home when you buy it?!?

The first time I re-bought the subscription, I still had my old one working (about a week was left on it).

Last edited:
First, make sure you login to your account on TomTom, through Operate my Go
Then, after you pruchase your subscription, it should keep on download a file to your tomtom(If your old subscription is still working)
After the old one expire, connect tomtom to computer and download the file again, then remove it and start it up, it should show up a screen that tells you renewal successful
That how it works on my Go 920T

It's a little confusing that you keep referring to your Droid. Is your subscription through TomTom Plus, using a data connection through your phone? If so, you may be out of luck, because TomTom is phasing that out. It might explain why they can't/won't renew it.

If you have the RDS-TMC subscription, then the new models (like yours) have the receiver built in to the power cord. As others said, connect your TomTom to TomTom Home on your COMPUTER, not your phone. You'll have an option to "Add Traffic", which will prompt you to update your subscription. When my subscription expired, it was offered for $49.99 for another year.

Hope this helps

Hey, update to my reply. I see you have the GO 730T, which sometimes came with the separate USB receiver. It's a USB antenna with suction cups, and your power cable plugs into the receiver, and then the receiver plugs into the TomTom.

If that's the case, then you have to plug your computer via USB to the receiver, and then connect the receiver to the TomTom. Otherwise TomTom HOME doesn't know about the traffic capability. That's what I had to do with my GO 630.

Ask a Question