RANT: TomTom routing doesn't use speed limits!

shouldn't advanced lane guidance and iq routes at some point remedy these problems? tomtom is making steps to improve these things... what is garmin doing to improve their products?

It would be great if the new technologies helped improve the routing. I do believe that some of the issues are programming choices (such as the "avoid left turns against traffic" type situations), which seem more prevalent with the TT than Garmin.

tele atlas's partnership with google and tomtom i think will eventually result in tomtom's having the most accurate maps. another factor that tomtom will be improving in the future.

Google uses Navteq as well as TeleAtlas, so I'm not sure about that one (just open any map in Google, and look at the bottom, right corner). I can only state the current and historical perspective, from experience. The future may indeed be different, but also don;t assume that Navteq will remain static and lose their apparent edge in the USA.

the easyport mounts on the 130S and 330S hold pretty darn well. i imagine that's going to be a technology that's going to be expanded to all the devices at some point.

Good, and I'm happy if TT's new designs are better than their previous crummy mounts. They need to be.

i love my tomtom, honestly, because i think they're the GPS provider of the future. they're constantly making progress with their technologies (mapshare, iq routes, advanced lane guidance, easyport, tele atlas deal, etc.. all in the past year). soon, i'm not sure the competition will be close. that's just my opinion.

Again, while I also love my old TT1, I'm not sure why you'd think that Garmin is not, and would not, continue to improve their own designs and units as well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question