Radio Interference when charging Tom Tom??

I have a One XL in the UK.
Whenever I plug in the genuine Tom Tom 12v car charger into the cigarette socket it has an adverse effect on the FM stations I listen to on the radio (It effects all stations).
Is there some kind of filter that can be fitted, it does get annoying after a while.

Thanks.

I have a One XL in the UK.
Whenever I plug in the genuine Tom Tom 12v car charger into the cigarette socket it has an adverse effect on the FM stations I listen to on the radio (It effects all stations).
Is there some kind of filter that can be fitted, it does get annoying after a while.

Thanks.
I'm very surprised to hear that you get that on FM stations. Would expect it on AM.

In any case, if you've got a preferred source for electronic bits and pieces, you might consider wrapping a bit of the extra power cord through a snap-on ferrite to reduce any EMI that is headed back toward your cig lighter or into the air. Keep the ferrite as close to the unit as you comfortably can when you wrap. They look like this:
Digi-Key - P11395-ND (Manufacturer - KRCBC160928B)

Find one that will allow you to run the wire through it, and then to allow one addition wrap through it (two passes of wire through it altogether).

Don't know the best source for this sort of thing on your side of the pond.

This should be a whole lot easier than trying to do the filtering on the power side of your cig lighter wiring in your vehicle.

Ask a Question