QuickGPSFix Downloads

TomTom Model(s)
TT VIA 1605
I have a SD card on my 720. Recently TT Home started offering the QuickGPSFix downloads for both, the SD card and the GPS unit. Is it normal to install the QuickGPSFixes in both places? If no, which one and which files should I delete? Please let me know,

Wherever your ephem folder is stored is where the updated file goes.

Last edited:
Thank you. I had the ephem folder on both places. I deleted the one on the SD card, connected to Home, and it only offered the download for the unit, not the SD card.

For those with ONE models, leave the ephem folder in both places: internal memory and SD card.

for the one units, leave the ephem folder in internal if you're not using a card, and if using a card the ephem folder has to be on the card.

no need to have it both places. I've not updated the ephem on the internal for more than a year since I'm always using a card in my one. the one units boot only from one or the other, not both.

I just looked all over my 720 and couldn't find a "ephem" folder at ALL. And NO gpsfixes have been offered to me since I got the device. In fact, even my ONE XL didn't receive fixes the last 2 or 3 weeks of owning it.

Ok, what I ended up trying was going to my TomTom "download" folder in my documents, and delete the ephemeris folder. Once I deleted it, I opened Home, and of course now Home said a Quickfix was available. Once it downloaded the quickfix, NOW there is a ephem folder on my device.

I guess something might have happened to the ephemeris folder on my PC which caused Home to think that the "ephemeris" file/folder is already up to date this whole entire time (over a month) and never needed an update again.

This whole time I've been using my 720 I've never had a "ephem" folder, so that means I've never used a gpsfix on it? Wow... O well resolved my own problem.. I should have thought of this sooner.

Here is a link to download the quickfix without using home. this works with the one units and probably others. note, you need a file manager able to open cabinet files to extract the data. simply copy the files in the cabinet file into the ephem folder on the unit. replace the XXXXXXX with the device code of your unit.

http://home.tomtom.com/download/Ephemeris.cab?type=ephemeris&eeProvider=globalLocate&devicecode=XXXXXXXXXX"

the ee-meta.txt included in the download has an expiry code which is a unix time stamp. copy and paste that number into the following link to find out the expiry date in day/month format.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

Ok, what I ended up trying was going to my TomTom "download" folder in my documents, and delete the ephemeris folder. Once I deleted it, I opened Home, and of course now Home said a Quickfix was available. Once it downloaded the quickfix, NOW there is a ephem folder on my device.

I guess something might have happened to the ephemeris folder on my PC which caused Home to think that the "ephemeris" file/folder is already up to date this whole entire time (over a month) and never needed an update again.

This whole time I've been using my 720 I've never had a "ephem" folder, so that means I've never used a gpsfix on it? Wow... O well resolved my own problem.. I should have thought of this sooner.

I have been having the same problem. I haven't been getting the gps fix file for quite awhile, and i noticed that it takes it a lot longer to get a signal now.

i did that you suggested. deleted the ephem folder, but when i reattached it to the computer and conneced to home, still no GPS fix.

I have a TT one XL. any suggestions?

Go here on your computer:
C:\Documents and Settings\(yourname)\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\ephemeris and delete all folders found in that folder. Don't delete the folder itself.

Does that help?

Thanks. I think that did it. When I started up TT Home it said the file was now missing and then proceeded to download it.

So as far as i know, it's taken care of. I just don't want to have to do this all the time to get it to update it. Time will tell.

The past 2 times I have turned on my TomTom, it picks up a signal almost instantly. I was upset at the fact that since I've had my 720, any time I turned on my 720, it would take more than a minute each time to get a signal, but now FINALLY having quickfix, I now get almsot instant sat fixes :) NICE

Just got a new quickfix today again, so yes, after having had deleted that folder and redownloading the quickfix, now the quickfixes will download automatically without having to ever delete any files or folders again.

All I did was delete my "ephemeris" folder on MY COMPUTER (not the TomTom) and it fixed everything. As I said I now no longer have to delete that folder, everything is good now.

Ok, so as i said yesterday, this worked for me. I downloaded the new gps quick fix.

So today i restarted my computer for some other things etc. and wanted to do a few more things on my TT (plus it was acting weird before the restart).

Now i started up Home, and it searches for updates, and it says i have a new gpsquickfix and some mapshare updates. So I hit download. It starts it's thing and then it pops up a window:

"Error when contacting server forbidden" report error all that jazz

Nothing ha changed since yesterday. Thought it might be the new USB hub, but i have it plugged right into my computer now, and same thing. I was able o uncheck it and download the mapshare updates. But all errors for the quick fix.

So i went in and deleted the files again, same deal, so i restored them.

What gives? I just got the ability to download the fix, and now it won't let me again. I know i don't need an update until this one expires, but then what, i get an error, and no fix again?

any ideas?

Ok, so as i said yesterday, this worked for me. I downloaded the new gps quick fix.

So today i restarted my computer for some other things etc. and wanted to do a few more things on my TT (plus it was acting weird before the restart).

Now i started up Home, and it searches for updates, and it says i have a new gpsquickfix and some mapshare updates. So I hit download. It starts it's thing and then it pops up a window:

"Error when contacting server forbidden" report error all that jazz

Nothing ha changed since yesterday. Thought it might be the new USB hub, but i have it plugged right into my computer now, and same thing. I was able o uncheck it and download the mapshare updates. But all errors for the quick fix.

So i went in and deleted the files again, same deal, so i restored them.

What gives? I just got the ability to download the fix, and now it won't let me again. I know i don't need an update until this one expires, but then what, i get an error, and no fix again?

any ideas?

You must capitalize your letter "I" for it to work.

i don't party that way...

none the less i don't even think my quick fix is working right now. it was fine earlier, almost instant signal. Now i was at 2:30 with no signal and attached it to the computer still with no signal. something is just fishy with it.

plugged it in, and opened home. now it doesn't say i have any updates. so nothing to error out on, so that's good, i guess. Ok, took 3 minutes for a signal, and i am sitting in the exact same spot where it was instant a few hours ago. Doesn't sound like the quickfix is working...

Last edited:
i don't party that way...

none the less i don't even think my quick fix is working right now. it was fine earlier, almost instant signal. Now i was at 2:30 with no signal and attached it to the computer still with no signal. something is just fishy with it.

plugged it in, and opened home. now it doesn't say i have any updates. so nothing to error out on, so that's good, i guess. Ok, took 3 minutes for a signal, and i am sitting in the exact same spot where it was instant a few hours ago. Doesn't sound like the quickfix is working...

Wow, it only worked for a quick moment? WOW that's quick!

Twisterman....

TomTom's servers crashed (again :eek: ) early this morning North American Eastern time. I believe that is what probably caused the 'forbidden' error you were experiencing. I'd try again sometime later ....

Ask a Question