Quick XXL 540tm questions

I've been reading this forum quite a bit, and I just received my XXL 540tm.

First of all, I know that backing up the unit is strongly advocated, but one of the reasons given is to ensure you can get your maps back. This unit has free lifetime maps, so is it really important for me? I don't really care if it loses my preferences or favorite addresses.

Second, can I install TomTom Home on multiple computers and use it with my lifetime map/traffic subscription without any problem, or should I stick to just one computer at a time?

Lastly, I see in some threads that people are deleting voices and certain other things to free up space on the unit for map updates. Is that really necessary or will the software let me know if there's a problem?

Thanks very much!

You should make the Explorer backup. It's not just the maps that can create an issue.

You can use Home on more than one computer. Once you create a user_id at tomtom.com to register the unit (using an email address, doesn't even have to be a real address, just in the proper format), then when you connect the unit to Home, Home 'talks' to the server based upon the information registered for the unit.

Yes, some will remove voices not needed for space reasons.

Who knows? v865 may be the first map for North America that has to be installed in zones just as Euopean maps have to be for most models starting with the 860 maps.

Ah, dhn, I was hoping you'd be the one to reply :)

OK, I will make a backup before I run any updates, but if you have a moment, could you elaborate on what could go wrong that can only be solved by having a backup? Does the Home software not restore the device to factory-fresh conditions?

Thanks very much for your help!

Home, if used, will restore a backup to the state it was in, including personal settings, at the time of the backup. IF it works, it has been known not to. That's why we ALWAYS recommend an Explorer (or Finder on a Mac) backup.

Stuff happens sometimes. So a complete backup should be made prior to a major install, including an application update AND especially a map update.

Ask a Question