Quick Traffic Question

Is the unit in a stationary position while you are trying to capture the signal and, as mvl says, is the cable stretched across the dash near the windshield?

btw, what kind of car do you have? Does it have athermic glass (heat reflective glass?). Shouldn't be ann issue, but ...

Here's a list (not up to date, I think):
http://www.gpsdetector.com/Athermic-windshield-list.PDF

It's a Ford Escape so I should be ok when it comes to the windshield.

I have it on the dash, not at the base of the windshield but it does have a direct line to the sky. Today I tried it while driving to go pick up my son at school but when I first received it I was in my driveway for about 10-15 mins.

Nothing more frustrating than purchasing something that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for all the advice.

This is what TomTom responded to my problem.

"the traffic adapter works only with either XXL 540 T or XXL 540 TM. XXL 540 M stands for Lifetime Maps only.

We hope you find the above information useful. "

So it's not supose to work??? Real "useful" information.

That answer is balony.

It is the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger which turns a 540 into a 540 T model. I have the same model, same application version and the antenna and I get traffic info (such as it is) in Toronto.

I'd call again at 866-486-6866 (open Saturdays) and pursue this issue.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if it may be related to the fact that my online TomTom online account is under the same email address as my older One XL.

As we all know I had to create a new email address for my XXL unit but I did not create a tomtom online account with it.

Drawing at straws here.

Thanks again for all your help.

(on hold, as always, while typing this post)

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if it may be related to the fact that my online TomTom online account is under the same email address as my older One XL.

Drawing at straws here.

Has Nothing to do with your other account. It either works or it doesn't. In your case - it seems to be working - but not able to pick up a station...

Go to Costco; Staples or whatever. Purchase another 540TM or 550TM

Try the Traffic cord which comes with the new device. If it now receives traffic - put your (new/not working cord) back into the box; and return the unit to the Store as Defective. Which it now is... Then you don't have to mess with TT support anymore and their...

If the new unit has the same response - you know that it is your area. Plus - you can always see how the new unit does with the cord which came with it; and the cord which you just purchased!

Once your at the store of your choice - takes 10 minutes to do all of this; and will let you know what is going on...

D.

Traffic receiver antenna TMC

For anyone looking for a deal on the RDS-TMC plug in antennas you can buy Two for about $14 on EB and they come with a one year sub for each

Hoodwinker - don't know what a 'sub' is...

Do know that these retail minimum for around $40 when on sale. Otherwise for $70.

Absolutely NOTHING sold on ebay (even when brand new) has a warranty. Unless said 'warranty' is being provided by the seller. By default - ebay is an auction site; and any seller (of brand new? product) on ebay - is the 'original purchaser' for any warranty issues. So no warranty exists.

$14 is an unbelievable great price for just one of these - let alone two... However - these break fairly easily (small delicate wires in the cabling); and they will LOOK absolutely FINE. Just won't work..

And the OP purchased his direct from TT; received it just a couple of days ago; and is experiencing problems. And TT support is operating true to apparent form....

It might be a great deal on ebay which you mentioned; I'm just real wary of such deals.... :flypig:

D.

UPDATE

So after speaking to two tomtom customer service reps (both very nice) I was told to :

1- Soft reset, did not work
2-Hard reset, did not work
3-Had me uninstall and then reinstall application file.

None of it worked. I then googled the problem. In a post I found someone mentioned that the antennna that send the signal is on Montreal's Mount Royal. Drove up there tonight. Full green circle.
As I started driving home I began lossing the green in the circle 1/4 at a time. 4 blocks before my home the signal was gone and the unit started searching again.

At least I know it is not defective. Thanks for are the help.

UPDATE
In a post I found someone mentioned that the antennna that send the signal is on Montreal's Mount Royal. Drove up there tonight. Full green circle.
As I started driving home I began lossing the green in the circle 1/4 at a time. 4 blocks before my home the signal was gone and the unit started searching again.
You don't say where you live, so it's impossible to guess the propagation from Mont Royal to your home - so here's a different test.

Since almost all of the public and private FM radio in your area is broadcast off that tower, I'd be curious to see how it works if you place a small, ordinary, cheap, handheld AM/FM radio in very close proximity to the normal position of the little "egg" on your cable (with the cable disconnected, mind you, so it doesn't cause RF interference), and drive that same route in reverse while listening to an FM station that is broadcast from that tower. If the signal isn't crystal clear 4 blocks from your house, either your location or vehicle is causing you grief. If the signal is quite good, I suppose it's possible that your particular cable is a bit weak in the sensitivity department.

To give you an idea of the locations:

Mont-Royal 45.50458, -73.59354

Approx Home : 45.42901, -73.62945

those numbers were taken from Tyre.

Just found this on the Total Traffic Network site.

" Montreal personal navigation device customers please note: We are currently negotiating a deal to add an additional FM tower in Montreal to increase the signal strength. The current signal is not strong enough to reach some of the internal antenna on certain devices. We will post an announcement on our website as soon as the additional antenna has been installed."

I guess we have gotten to the bottom of my problem.

Ask a Question