Quick Traffic Question

sab

TomTom Model(s)
540M XXL
If I purchase a USB LT Traffic Receiver for my XXL 540M do I get the TMC subscription for life or do I have to pay extra yearly?

Thanks

The traffic receiver is a built in FM radio receiver onto the charger portion.

This is for life; or for as long as various radio stations broadcast traffic reports; or for as long as the charger unit is functional and has not broken.

The yearly subscription is for LIVE which the 540 does not do...

I have seen some posts where the receiver portion has broken; which is why I brought up the 'break' part.

The traffic part works fine; depending on your area. (City, urban, or rural) [coverage varies]. TT website has them on special for like $40 right now (down from $70); but I also understand that the US TT website directs any purchases to their servers in the Netherlands. Which then causes you additional foreign exchange currency fees.

You might try and see if you can get the receiver from some other reputable US dealer. (Assuming your in the US).

D.

It is the same price on the Canadian site which is where I am from.

I thought after purchasing it I would have to pay a yearly fee to use it but if the only cost is the purchase of the receiver I may just order it.

thanks

Your welcome. That is a one time purchase.

But please be aware that the Canadian Website also directs to the Netherlands; and you will be paying extra via conversion fees; and (in Canada) I also think a VAT tax, or some type of special tax...

(I've been reading various posts here the last three weeks...):)

Best regards.

D.

The older USB traffic adapter (that didn't have a cigarette lighter socket) required annual subscriptions.

The latest USB/power combo cord is lifetime, although it requires app 9.x to run, so older devices won't work.

The older USB traffic adapter (that didn't have a cigarette lighter socket) required annual subscriptions.

The latest USB/power combo cord is lifetime, although it requires app 9.x to run, so older devices won't work.

Thanks for clearing it all up :eek:.

Just order the receiver.

I just received this product, ordered directly from TomTom, but it did not iclude any directions to correctly install for best reception. Can anyone point me to where I can get a copy. The only instructions on the TomTom website I could find was for a different model that had suction cups for installation. Only received Charger/cable and nothing else.

Appreciate any help.

Is yours a combination car charger/traffic antenna (has a little grey plastic 'egg' as part of the cable)?

If so, just connect to the unit and car charger and the unit should say 'rds-tmc antenna' detected'. Then you see a vertical bar on the right side of the screen as it seeks the fm signal to provide info for traffic.

Plug it in, and try to extend the cord as much as possible and as close to a window as possible, for best reception.

It has pretty good reception anyways, so if you're otherwise not having problems with it, just plug it in in whatever way is convenient, and it will probably work.

Yes, although the "egg" and cable are all black. It is the USB LT traffic receiver.

Thanks for the info guys. I will lay cable on dash against window. Still I am dissapointed that while the TomTom site clearly states that instructions were to be included they were not.

There's this short manual for the older style RDS-TMC receiver (with the suckers) if it is of any help.

Sab -

As previously stated - TT has some problems with their Canadian Website. I'm in the US, but I've seen some remarks here in this forum.

Probably your credit card is giving you some difficulties. Do some calling... Some of the Credit Card companies block (stop) the transaction...

TT is attempting to get the Canadian side up and running correctly. Some improvements have happened.

Please take a look at the following. Both of these posts end with current (relevant) dates... You also might try searching on 'Canadian' or "Canada Store' or some such...

https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/24104-canadian-website.html

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...omtom-map-update-server-trouble-canada-2.html

D.

I finally received it. Tried it 2 days in a row and can't seem to find a station. I looked it up on the traffic network website and it lists Montreal as station 91.9. Entered it manually, again does not connect.

Not a good start.

Hi Sab -

Glad you got that. I'm slightly confused...

How are you "setting this" to a specific station?? Looking over my 540; I find no settings (might be missing something) on how to pick or set a station...

This is just a car power plug in; which also has a little 'egg' shaped oval device (no settings on that) which the cord goes runs through. Plug it into your car power port; plug it into the xxl540; and it auto picks up radio traffic stations. I have no settings ability which I can find... and it works in the Seattle area. Rural area probably no traffic for it to pick up...

Did you order something different? If it is not working in your area - sorry about that...

Is this not the device you purchased?:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/accessories/chargers-connect-cables/usb-lt-traffic-receiver/

D.

Last edited:
Yes that is what I ordered lol.

If you go into your traffic menu by click on the side traffic bar you have the option of manually entering your station :)

Sab -

Thanks for the manual setting info...

Just realized that your unit is working. (don't know if its getting stations...) That is why you have the side traffic bar. I do believe it turns green at the very upper top...

But the traffic bar indicates it knows that you have a traffic unit... It doesn't announce traffic. or stations, or anything. It just now makes recommendations if it gets info on a traffic jam or it will also give indications of a construction, etc.

D.

Last edited:
At the top of the traffic bar I always get the arrow searching for a station. Never get the full green circle which means your locked into the traffic station.

Will try again tomorrow. If it fails again I may have to drive over to the great USA and try it there. I only really use the unit for vacations anyway.

It should work on automatic mode, there shouldn't be a need to manually set the station. The first time you plug it in it takes a while for initial connection, but subsequent connections are faster.

Keep the cable uncoiled and as close to a window as possible. Make sure you update your Tomtom's software to app 9.x also.

Just had it on automatic for approx 15 mins. Still no green dot. I just continually see the green arrow moving (searching).

How am I supose to know if it's the receiver or the service?
Anyone from Montreal on here :) ??

Ask a Question