Questions regarding a newly purchased TT One XLS

I just got my TT in the mail yesterday, and, to be honest, I am a little disappointed. The first issue I had with it was, when I went to download an updated map using the "latest map guarantee," it told me there was not enough room on my device for the map. Huh? I just bought this (brand new), and it already can't fit the latest map.

So I searched TT's official site and was told to delete some things from it (POIs, unused voices, etc.) before installing the new map. Before doing this, however, I was told to perform a backup using the Home software. So I did this. It took a whole half hour to do the backup. I believe the internal memory in my device is only 1 GB, so why is it taking that long to copy all the files to my computer when I'm using a USB 2.0 connection?

Anyway, I got the backup done, deleted the appropriate files, and went to update the map again. Not taking into account the time it took to download the map, it still took close to a half an hour for it to update. Is this correct? Am I doing something wrong in these instances? Will it always take this long to perform map updates and backups?

My last question has to do with the fact that I'm running out of room (already!)--only 0.3 MB left. If I were to purchase a 2 GB SD card, would that give me a total of 3 GB of memory, or does it only use either the internal memory or the memory card, and not both at the same time? Also, again assuming I added a memory card, would I have to do anything like copying the map or other files over to it, or will TT keep the current files on the internal memory until, for example, some time in the future when the memory card space is needed?

thanks for any help,
mike.

Welcome to TTF!

First of all, while it is good that you made a backup, from now on -- including NOW -- make your backups/restores with Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

My understanding is that while your computer has SB 2.0, TomTom didn't implement whatever has to be implemented in the units to take advantage of that until the Go models and higher. So, I think your copying still took place at the 1.1 USB 'speed'.

Unfortunately, your model requires ALL files to be on either internal OR a as card. Meaning, not only the map folder but all other folders and loose files in the root of the unit.

To find some additional space, you can remove any files found in the license folder NOT with US_En in the name, [the next stuff do AFTER an Explorer backup!], you can use Home to delete any computer voices and recorded voices you won't be using.

Thank you for your VERY detailed response, DHN. I do have a few follow-up questions, if I may.

First of all, while it is good that you made a backup, from now on -- including NOW -- make your backups/restores with Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

I will make backups in Explorer from now on. I'm curious, however, why that is needed if the Home software has that built in functionality.

Unfortunately, your model requires ALL files to be on either internal OR a as card. Meaning, not only the map folder but all other folders and loose files in the root of the unit.

So if I understand you correctly, purchasing a 2 GB card would give me 2 GB of memory, not a combined 3 GB. If I wanted to go that route (no pun intended) and purchase the 2 GB card, do I have to copy the files to it BEFORE installing it to my TT, or will TT copy the files automatically upon the new memory card's insertion?

If I have to do it myself, do I also have to manually delete the files from the internal memory? If so, is there any special order of these steps? Like do I have to make sure I don't delete the internal memory until AFTER I insert the new SD card?

Thanks for your advice,
mike.

One advantage of Explorer backups is that YOU get to name the folder you want the backup to go into. Home's backup function always rewrites over data in the same folder again and again. Many people keep multiple backups (always safe & good to make a separate backup before AND after an application update and map update).

Further Home's backups have been known to corrupt files, miss files, etc. Restores sometimes fail for no good reason. Got the idea? :p

Yes, YOU copy everything from internal to the card prior to inserting the card. The way TT works, if it detects an application on the card, it boots there before trying internal. In theory, there is nothing against keeping applications (and maps) in both areas but users doing that have more storage capacity than yours allows. So, after copying everything from internal to the card, make a complete Explorer backup of internal.

If internal is 1 gig and IF your model can handle 2 gigs sd capacity, then while the card is in the unit, TT never uses anything stored on internal.

Last edited:
One advantage of Explorer backups is that YOU getto name the folder you want the backup to go into. Home's backup function always rewrites over data in the same folder again and again. Many people keep multiple backups (always safe & good to make a separate backup before AND after an application update and map update).

Further Home's backups have been known to corrupt files, miss files, etc. Restores sometimes fail for no good reason. Got the idea? :p

Yes, YOU copy everything from internal to the card prior to inserting the card. The way TT works, if it detects an application on the card, it boots there before trying internal. In theory, there is nothing against keeping applications (and maps) in both areas but users doing that have more storage capacity than yours allows. So, after copying everything from internal to the card, make a complete Explorer backup of internal.

If internal is 1 gig and IF your model can handle 2 gigs sd capacity, then while the card is in the unit, TT never uses anything stored on internal.

Yep, Explorer backup is the ghetto method, but it's the best method.

And yea I know you meant to say "get to" :p

Ok. I think, save for one last question, I'm good to go. My last question is this: I read somewhere--I believe it was in the manual, though it might have been on either this site or the official TT site--that the device uses a small amount of battery power, even when off, to remember the "last screen position."

I, however, turned off the option to go to the last screen position when turning the device on. I opted, instead, to always go to the main screen. Does this mean my device will use NO battery power when off? Of does it still use the power to remember the last screen, it just doesn't use that information?

thanks,
mike.

When does 'off' not mean 'off' :p

When we're talking about TomTom units.........

Turning 'off' the power is really just putting the unit into sleep mode. Most 'instant on' electronics are the same way.

For those models with a reset hole, it's reported that pressing the reset with the unit 'off' really does shut down the unit.

Bottom line: Normal 'off' does still use some battery power. Many keep their units docked or attached to the computer when not in use to keep the battery charge up.

Ask a Question