questions for map code inside the box

I am guessing everyone has this free one-year map code inside the box.
So what if the new map with Active Lane Guidance and IQ route features ever be released, will the code cover the new map release?

Hope someone can answer this for me. Thank you.

According to some TT Support reps, the map code is good for one year.
You may want to verify with Support.

The map code for the GO920T is 30 days from first use. There are users on this forum that waited more than 30 days and have been denied download of the latest map. You can call TT and if you are told different, ask your question 2-3 different ways and get the case # and name and time. You may want to record the conversation IF they tell you good for 1 year.

From what I have read here, you will be sol if you wait beyond 30 days.

Sidney

The map code for the GO920T is 30 days from first use. There are users on this forum that waited more than 30 days and have been denied download of the latest map. You can call TT and if you are told different, ask your question 2-3 different ways and get the case # and name and time. You may want to record the conversation IF they tell you good for 1 year.

From what I have read here, you will be sol if you wait beyond 30 days.

Sidney

Bought my 920T in December and got an updated map in March. Some have a 30 day map guarantee, mine had 1 year and had no problem with update.

Quick question, I don't have enough room for the updated maps on my 920, so can I download them to my computer within the 30 days, or do I need to rush out and buy an SD card? Eventually I plan on putting the Europe map on an SD card to clear up some space. I don't have time right now to do it but I want to make sure I get the updated maps. I have 710 maps on mine and 715 was released.
My unit is pretty new so I don't want to go deleting too much stuff yet.

Quick question, I don't have enough room for the updated maps on my 920, so can I download them to my computer within the 30 days, or do I need to rush out and buy an SD card? Eventually I plan on putting the Europe map on an SD card to clear up some space. I don't have time right now to do it but I want to make sure I get the updated maps. I have 710 maps on mine and 715 was released.
My unit is pretty new so I don't want to go deleting too much stuff yet.

If you go to MyTomTom-->My Maps it should say you have 1-yr to download the maps. I've downloaded the US 7.15, but I'm going to hold off on the EU 7.15 until I need it. It says I have until 4-2009 to download it via TT Home.

If you go to MyTomTom-->My Maps it should say you have 1-yr to download the maps. I've downloaded the US 7.15, but I'm going to hold off on the EU 7.15 until I need it. It says I have until 4-2009 to download it via TT Home.

I'm looking in MyTomTom and see North America listed. When I click on it I see a screen that says "You can download this file until: 01-04-2009". Is that what you're talking about?

If so, the way I read this is that I can (re)download the maps (that I've already downloaded) until that date.

I'm looking in MyTomTom and see North America listed. When I click on it I see a screen that says "You can download this file until: 01-04-2009". Is that what you're talking about?

If so, the way I read this is that I can (re)download the maps (that I've already downloaded) until that date.

If you only see NA listed, then you don't have the latest EU 7.15 maps. You should see both NA and Western/Central Europe 7.15 listed under My Maps. For me the date means I can wait until next year to download it. For example, when I downloaded and installed the NA 7.15 maps via TT Home, the next time I check for updates, it doesn't list NA 7.15 anymore. But Western & Central Europe 7.15 keeps popping up as an available update for download so i just keep unchecking the box until i am ready to download and install it. Hope that makes sense.

Hey guys, I just found this forum.

I just bought a 920 T on Monday. When I went to enter my map code it said it was invalid. Hmm. I called customer service and the rep asked when and where I bought it. I told yesterday(Monday the 28th) and from a guy off of Craigslist. Rep put me on hold then came back saying that they couldn't do anything because I needed to buy it from a retailer to verify how long I actually had it.

I told him it was brand new in box with the shrink wrap still on it. Should I call back and fight it?

James

Did they ask you for the Device number? I would think they can tell when a device is registered using the device number and/or serial number. I would call back and ask. Good luck.

As I wrote in a new thread, it's retail receipt or nothing. Even a hand written receipt from the guy I bought it from would work. Then they said that the promo code was non-transferable.

James

1 Year Free Updates

I am guessing everyone has this free one-year map code inside the box.
So what if the new map with Active Lane Guidance and IQ route features ever be released, will the code cover the new map release?

Hope someone can answer this for me. Thank you.

I bought my TT920 about a month ago from Costco and it did come with a a certificate containing a code for Free 1 year Updates. On the certificate it states, "ALWAYS up to date - New Maps for 1 Year + TomTom Map Share". When I tried using the code on line it did not work. So I called TT support. They advised me that they no longer use the code but that I was entitled to free for one year updates and that if I go to TomTom Home and request for updates, then I would have the latest information. When I look at my TT Home it indicates that I currently use over 20,000 updates.
So, the question in my mind would be what is the definition of "updates"? Is it the individual updates made or new version of the software?
I haven't pushed for the latest software yet. Mine is currently the V.710.1576. I am going to Europe in a few weeks and I may try to push for the latest software version.

Their web site says this too -- that the certificates aren't used any more, and that TT Home 2.1 and newer do this automatically. http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7910&Lid=1

I suspect if there was a new map to download, you would find it under "Use Latest Map Guarantee" but mine has always said I have the most recent ones.

My map version: 710.1576

I suspect MapShare won't grab all types of updates, and that sometimes the Latest Map Guarantee is the only way to get e.g. the correct routing of a new highway.

Their web site says this too -- that the certificates aren't used any more, and that TT Home 2.1 and newer do this automatically. http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7910&Lid=1

I suspect if there was a new map to download, you would find it under "Use Latest Map Guarantee" but mine has always said I have the most recent ones.

My map version: 710.1576

I suspect MapShare won't grab all types of updates, and that sometimes the Latest Map Guarantee is the only way to get e.g. the correct routing of a new highway.

when a user reports a map change, only those items on page 1 of the screen (such as changing the street name, direction, etc.) are candidates for mapshare updates by users. Changes such as you mentioned (physical existence of a new road, for example) are only **reported** to Tomtom. Then, those kind of changes get sent to TeleAtlas for implimentation in a future map version which TT then gets and provides (at a cost to those out of the 30-day or 1 -yr window, depending on the terms you got with the unit) to customers in a new map.

So, a user can only hope that all changes reported to a North America 7.10 map are implemented when the newest 7.15 North america map got released.

Unfortunately, the reality is that many (valid) changes reported by users for one map are NOT reflected in the next level map and users have to start all over, by reporting corrections.

One reason why more and more feel this whole 'Mapshare' concept is a bit of a con game when all is said and done.

Support ticket -- got around the 30 day thing

From my support ticket:

Customer (Marc Miller) 05/01/2008 07:48 PM
I have version 710 of the North America map installed on my unit, the Latest Map Guarantee button in TomTom Home says there isn't a more recent version. After finding some problems with the placement of roads, I bought the U.S. Western Region map, which turned out to be version 715. People on tomtomforums.com are telling me there should be a version 715 of the North America map too, and that what I bought was a subset of that more recent map.

How do I get the updated North America map I'm entitled too through the Latest Map Guarantee?

----

Response (ST Darlene) 05/02/2008 10:43 AM
Dear Marc,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Support regarding the latest map guarantee. My name is Darlene and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help!

We ask you to please attach the proof of purchase to this ticket. To attach this information to your account, please follow the directions found on our website at:

www.tomtom.com/7783

If you prefer, we can also receive this information via fax. Our fax number is:

1-978-405-1603

The latest map guarantee is for units purchased in the last 30 days or have a promotional code in the box.

We hope this information helps! If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Darlene,
and The TomTom Customer Support Team

----

Customer (Marc Miller) 05/02/2008 01:04 PM
I've been trying to do this through TomTom Home and through the link printed on my in-box certificate since day 7. After TomTom Home claimed that I had the most recent map, and your web site said the certificates were no longer being used, I assumed I had the latest one.

Though I didn't know about the 30-day requirement until recently, hopefully you'll acknowledge my past attempts. Your server error logs should confirm my attempts. If there's any debate about that, I'll be happy to explain this to the appropriate approver and do whatever is required to generate a TomTom Home 2.3.x bug report.

My PayPal receipt is attached.

----

Response (ST Darlene) 05/02/2008 01:35 PM
Dear Marc,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Support regarding the latest map guarantee. My name is Darlene and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help!

We appreciate all the time you have put in to keeping your GO 920 T updated. After reviewing your account, we have placed the map version 715 in your account. We apologize for all the inconvenience to you.

Please download the new version of map from HOME. Due to the size of the map, please delete the map version 710.

We hope this information helps! If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Darlene,

Map Version 715 Update

From my support ticket:

Customer (Marc Miller) 05/01/2008 07:48 PM
I have version 710 of the North America map installed on my unit, the Latest Map Guarantee button in TomTom Home says there isn't a more recent version. After finding some problems with the placement of roads, I bought the U.S. Western Region map, which turned out to be version 715. People on tomtomforums.com are telling me there should be a version 715 of the North America map too, and that what I bought was a subset of that more recent map.

How do I get the updated North America map I'm entitled too through the Latest Map Guarantee?

----

Response (ST Darlene) 05/02/2008 10:43 AM
Dear Marc,

We ask you to please attach the proof of purchase to this ticket. To attach this information to your account, please follow the directions found on our website at:

www.tomtom.com/7783

If you prefer, we can also receive this information via fax. Our fax number is:

1-978-405-1603

The latest map guarantee is for units purchased in the last 30 days or have a promotional code in the box.

With Best Regards,

Darlene,

----

Customer (Marc Miller) 05/02/2008 01:04 PM
I've been trying to do this through TomTom Home and through the link printed on my in-box certificate since day 7. After TomTom Home claimed that I had the most recent map, and your web site said the certificates were no longer being used, I assumed I had the latest one.

Though I didn't know about the 30-day requirement until recently, hopefully you'll acknowledge my past attempts. Your server error logs should confirm my attempts. If there's any debate about that, I'll be happy to explain this to the appropriate approver and do whatever is required to generate a TomTom Home 2.3.x bug report.

My PayPal receipt is attached.

----

Response (ST Darlene) 05/02/2008 01:35 PM
Dear Marc,

We appreciate all the time you have put in to keeping your GO 920 T updated. After reviewing your account, we have placed the map version 715 in your account. We apologize for all the inconvenience to you.

Please download the new version of map from HOME. Due to the size of the map, please delete the map version 710.

With Best Regards,

Darlene,

Thanks for all the follow-ups and postings. I have V710 and don't see options to download V715 unless I pay $99. I will go back to TT customer support and try to get an update to the 715 version.

Ask a Question