Questions about XL 340S features before buying

Hi all, I've been a satisfied One "New Edition" user for a couple of years, though I haven't posted here in a while. I've been seeing some really low prices on the XL 340S lately, and I bought my Dad a XL 330S last year and got to use it very briefly and it seemed pretty similar to my One. The main things I really need are Itinerary planning, and reliability.

My 2 main questions are:

1) Can the "IQ Routing" system be turned off or bypassed? For instance, I know traffic patterns and travel times in my home area. If I don't like the way that the traffic-based routing system guides me, will I have to deal with that everytime I use it or can I just have it default to the "old" way of routing me, fastest/shortest without taking into account traffic, etc.

2) Can the TTS be disabled? I see numerous complaints on this forum of consistently mispronounced simple words like "road = ROW-ADD" and "Main St = Main Saint". I'd rather not have that feature than listen to constant mistakes if it turns out I have some of these problems. Are there voices that do not contain the TTS that I could use? (I prefer "Richard" on my One :) ).

Any other comments I should take into consideration before I upgrade? Thanks in advance!

Both IQ Routing and TTS can be disabled but I wouldn't bother as IQ Routes offers a decent route that is nearly as good as local knowledge, as always if you know better simply ignore the device as it will soon work out which way you are going. Without local knowledge it offers probably the best routing available from any Navigation device - TTS is down to your own preference, if you don't need it or simply don't like it turn it off by choosing a non TTS voice - Mike

Diamond, You can get the 5" model XXL540 S now at a great 50% off discount. I have mine now for 4 months & really enjoy the much larger screen & keyboard. Perhaps a $30 upcharge from your model. Added bonus is the Lane -Assist window gives me ample warning for my motorhome to manuever into the correct lane.

BTW, You can over-ride any IQ route via pressing the "Find Alternate route" button, again and again. I usually just ignore direction & continue my alternate way, TomTom will auto-recalculate; and, if needed, "Find Alternate" again. Very easy to do.

I find the IQ very impressive when given time-of-day. Mine finds Atlanta traffic routes very accurately.

Dave

i 2 have a couple questions about the 340s does it offer real speed limits like the garmin does? and how do i calculate an alternative route i cant find it on it?
Thanks

I don't know what you mean by 'real' speed limits. If the speed data is imbedded in the map (usually for highways), it'll appear as you are driving.

When you plan a trip, route summary screen, details, plan alternate route.

i mean by the posted speed limit on that road my built in garmin in my truck does it on back roads and everything as soon as i hit a speed limit change sign it changes on the gps but my tomtom didnt seem to have the speed limit posted on it (340s)

Probably quite true ....... a limitation of TeleAtlas (TomTom) mapping, especially on non-highways.

i mean by the posted speed limit on that road my built in garmin in my truck does it on back roads and everything as soon as i hit a speed limit change sign it changes on the gps but my tomtom didnt seem to have the speed limit posted on it (340s)

It depends on the road. My older TT will display speed limits, but usually its just on the highways. You do have to have it enabled though. There all different, in my XL330 is Preferences > Status Bar > Show max speed next to speed, check....

My XL 340s shows the current speed as well as the speed limit. If you exceed the speed limit by a certain amount, it turns red and sounds a warning chime.
I think you have to enable it in prefs.

Ask a Question