Questions about Postal Code and charging battery on TomTom 540

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom 540M XXL
Hi

I just started using the Tom Tom 540 the past week and have been doing a lot of reading of the manual and on the forums. The device is growing on me but I have some questions I'd like to verify the answers on.

(1) How long should I need to charge the battery to get it to full? I thought if I have the unit off it should take around 2 hours for a new unit. So far I have not seen it go past 80-90 percent. I wanted to check with the community just in case my battery was a dud.

(2) In North America (Canada/US) do we expect that TomTom does not support our postal/zip codes for navigation?

I noticed the unit will accept the first 3 digits to show the city. I also noticed that some other posts mentioned a zip.zip file which needed to be downloaded but this seemed to be for European customers. I did call TomTom support in the US and they told me they did not know about a zip.zip file for any unit.

Thanks.

Welcome to TTF.

Two hours should be ok to initially charge the unit, maybe three.

Yep, the postal code functionality for Canada is useless. By providing only ANA without the subsequent NAN values, the search is of no value. you're left with maybe 100 streets with the first 3 characters. Big deal! :mad:

The zip folder & files is for the UK and Dutch countries only.

Ask a Question