Questions about newly purchased tomtom

I just purchased a TomTom Go 720 off ebay. It was advertised as new, but the shrink wrap looks kinda shady. The model # is 1M00.783. I have a few questions:

1) This is a gift for someone. Is there any way I can find out if it is a refurb without opening it?
2) What are the chances that it has the latest maps?
3) How will the LMG work for the person who I am giving it to? Do I need to get the maps for them since I have the ebay invoice? Will it even be valid since I bought it off ebay?

Thanks

You need to know the LMG is only available if purchased from an authorised dealer. The safest way would be to contact Tomtom tech support and ask if your seller is one of the approved dealers.

Knowing which map or software version on this particular unit is something no one here could guess. It depends on when it was produced and stayed on the shelves.

As for applying the LMG, one needs to fax or photocopy the invoice to TT after having called tech support. They then put the latest map into your TT Home account. TT Home software is inefficient as far as applying LMG and a phone call is mandatory to apply the LMG.

Thanks. Well, the seller advertised it with the latest maps. So I suppose if I can't get LMG and it doesn't have the latest maps, I will send it back to them.

I'll call tech support and see if they can tell me the installed map version based on the serial #. If not, I guess I will have to open it.

Keep us posted as I don't know if TT has records of map data with serial numbers available to tech support people.

So, he said there is no way to tell for sure if it is a refurb or not. I guess it's not a big deal since they have the same warranty.

For the LMG, he said I should be able to send them a paypal receipt and get the LMG. He didn't make any mention of requiring an authorized reseller. I think I might open it and get the latest maps installed before gifting it, just to be safe.

i bought a xl-s from e-bay i could not download 8.15 so i called support, they asked me for a reciept, all i had was word based invoice, but out of courtesy they let me have new map but also said warranty was invalid with that type of invoice, they advised me to contact seller, which i did and he advised me he had it straightened out with them, just my experience with that.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping a paypal receipt is a little more 'official', but I will contact the seller to see if I can get an invoice.

Ask a Question