Questions about Explorer Backup and SD Card use

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720 App:8.302 Map:N/A 815.2019
I've been following the advice here to use Explorer for backup. I use Explorer in addition to the TT HOME backup.

1) Why is Explorer backup better? Can't either one be used as effectively to restore the device?

I have purchased a 4GB SD card and use it in my 720. Man, 12 bucks! I can't believe these things are getting so cheap! Anyway, that leads to my SD questions. I understand that the SD card can be used seamlessly for required TomTom files (like Maps, etc).

1) What format do I have to follow to allow the SD card to be used seamlessly?

2) Do I have to use the same folder names as was on the original directory structure in the TomTom internal memory?

3) Do I have to remove the directory of the same name in the TomTom internal memory?

-Frank

I've been following the advice here to use Explorer for backup. I use Explorer in addition to the TT HOME backup.

1) Why is Explorer backup better? Can't either one be used as effectively to restore the device?

Home's backup/restore functions have been known to miss files, rename files, corrupt files and, of course, overwrite a backup in the backed up folder. With Explorer (and hidden files/folders showing) you have control over the naming convention used for the folders where you put your backups.

I have purchased a 4GB SD card and use it in my 720. Man, 12 bucks! I can't believe these things are getting so cheap! Anyway, that leads to my SD questions. I understand that the SD card can be used seamlessly for required TomTom files (like Maps, etc).

1) What format do I have to follow to allow the SD card to be used seamlessly?

Your sdhc card should be already formatted as fat32 out of the package.

2) Do I have to use the same folder names as was on the original directory structure in the TomTom internal memory?

Yep. for example, if you have a mp3 folder in internal AND an mp3 folder on the card, TT will 'see' the mp3 files in both locations as if it were 1 folder.

3) Do I have to remove the directory of the same name in the TomTom internal memory?
-Frank

Nope.

...and, of course, overwrite a backup in the backed up folder.
Yes. Before I started using Explorer I used to make completely separate copies of my TT HOME Backup in order to be able to save different "versions" of my backup. But I suppose it'd be easier to just use Explorer to begin with for the backup.

Thanks for all the answers. It's especially great that TomTom will look in both locations (Internal + SD Card) for any given required file.

-Frank

Ask a Question