Question regarding iPhone 4 and TomTom app v1.6

Question regarding iPhone 4 and TomTom app v1.6 - Low FPS

First all, hello to all of you

I just bought the TomTom Western Europe app, v.1.6., for my iPhone 4, 32 gb model, and I have a couple of questions:

From all reviews and videos I saw in YouTube, the maps were always fluid, with good FPS (I haven't seen 1.6 videos tough).

But in my iPhone the maps have very low FPS, with a very "jumpy" behaviour. My guess was that this is the fault of the Hi-res maps introduced with 1.5 or 1.6., for the Retina display, I suppose.

This behavior is independent of the GPS signal, because the same happens in route demonstration mode...!

I also have the TomTom car kit bit it doesn't make any difference when the phone is docked.

I've tried to deselect roads on map and POI's on map, but it doesn't change much.

Am I missing something... What's your experience with map's FPS from pre 1.5 version to version 1.6. - does it maintain the same smoothness?

I?ve just uploaded a small youtube video with the problem. What you see is a small part of a route in route simulation mode:

YouTube - TomTom v.1.6 problems with iPhone 4, low FPS

Please help!

Thank you in advance

P.S. I already removed the app and re-downloaded it from iTunes, but it's the same.

How many other apps have you got running in the background?
Double click the home button and some icons will appear at the bootom of the screen, these are all still running, press and hold one until the red circle appears, use the red circle to close each app down then try the TomTom app again.

I am running TT 1,6 on my iPhone4 and it doesn't behave in the way you describe - Mike

Thank you Jaso, for your help

No, I already restarted the iPhone, no change...

I even deleted some stuff, music mostly, and I have 4 gb free.

I don't know what it can be, don't you guys see any difference in your iphone 4s, between previous versions (without retina maps) and 1.6?

Question about hi-res maps choppiness since 1.5 update

Update 1.7 did not resolve the maps choppiness for me. Did any of you notice choppiness in the maps movement since back 1.5 update and the hi-resolution maps introduction? Is there any way to increase fps or reduce choppiness?

I'm referring to western Europe version in particular.

Best regards

I have still not experianced the slow screen refresh rates using any version including V1,7

How many POI categories have you got enabled to display on the map as this has been responsible for slow map refresh on PDA and PND based devices.

On my unit I have 23 custom POI Categories enabled and configured to issue spoken alerts so the iPhone tells me the they of camera and its rated speed, with all this going on I still don't experiance slow refresh - Mike

MikeAlder

Thank you for your help.

I'll tell you exactly what I have on my map:

-streets on map
-current street

-POI on map (only 4):
-Gas stations
-ATM machines
-Schools
-Open parking

Alert definitions (on):

-Traffic radar
-Speed limit
-Cult places and schools
-Traffic

As advanced definitions, I have everything on:

-Multitasking
-Advanced lane guidance
-IQ Routes
-Traffic
-Radars and comunicate radars button
-Map Share
-GPS Enhancer

I also have automatic zoom enabled, and that's all. From your own setting (23 POI) I don't think 4 POI and streets, besides the above definitions, explain the choppiness - did you see my youtube video at the first post ? - that's the sort of choppiness I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance

Ask a Question