Question on RDS-TMC alternative routes

Hi,

I have a ONE XL and have the RDS-TMC receiver too. If the receiver shows a delay ahead and I take the option to avoid the hold up, if the hold up clears before I reach it, does the TT revert back to the original route or will it still use the alternative?

Many thanks

Bezier

I believe the unit does NOT revert back to the original routing automatically. Believe it would require the user to effectively start over with the Navigate To--> from the then current location.

Many thanks for the reply - I had a feeling that was the case. I've logged a support call with TT to see if they can confirm. I'll keep you posted

Regards

The unit will not revert back to the original route if the traffic related issue clears from it as the device has no idea of traffic related issues other than those directly on your route - It will be interesting to see what TTCS come up with as an answer but the simple fact is the device cannot revert back to the original route automatically - Mike

I haven't used my RDS-TMC antenna long enough, but on PLUS it sometimes diverts back to the original route.

If there is an incident anywhere on your detour, PLUS traffic will recalc the fastest route in the background every 5 minutes or so (if you have auto-recalc selected). If there is no incident in your detrour, it doesn't recalculate.

So if you have a delay 1 mile ahead which the Tomtom detoured around, and the detour is clear, it will not recheck/move you back to the original route. But if you have a delay 1 mile ahead which the Tomtom detoured around, and a delay 10 miles away that the "fastest route" chose to drive through, then it will recheck the original detour every 5 minutes.

I don't know if this happens on RDS-TMC, as it appears to use entirely different avoidance programming.

Hi All,

Sorry for the late response, but I did get a reply from TomTom support.

They say that if the RDS TMC receiver picks up that the hold up you have chosen to avoid does clear, it will revert back to the original route.

Yes, it will revert back I've noticed it do it in real time before. I have it set to automatically avoid problems and it will beep, recalculate, if the problem clears it will beep and recalculate again...

Yes, they certainly do recalculate automatically when the event clears, to the point of recalculating your route just as you exit the highway to avoid the delay that has cleared.

Ask a Question