Question about XL 250 - Australia

I own an XL 250 device and am very happy with it. My question today regards the addtion of mapos of spain, France and Italy. If I buy these and install them will the installation over-ride the Australian maps? If so do I have to buy the Australian maps again when I come home and instal it again?

Les Drake

Welcome to TTF. I changed the title of your subject to something more meaningful (than your name :D ).

I think you are going to have some issues.............

The 250, according to the Oz website is only 1 gb and no external storage.

You **can** buy an Italy map that'll fit but it's $75AUS. You **can** buy an Italy map that'll fit and it's also $75 AUS.

I don't see a standalone Spain map at any price.

There is a southern_Europe map that covers all 3 countries but it is over 1 gb in size so it won't fit.

So, it's your call if you want to spend that much on two maps. It is possible to swap out the Aussie map to a computer, and replace it with an Italy or France map. Then swap THAT map out and replace it with the other country's map. And then swap THAT map out and replace it with Australia when you get home.

But you need a computer with you on the trip to do all the swapping in and out.

See why I said you are gonna have issues .....:sad:

Welcome to TTF. I changed the title of your subject to something more meaningful (than your name :D ).

... and I moved it to the XL forum section :cool:

Les.... It is a real shame that TomTom stopped putting expansion card slots on their newer models (presumably to save a few pennies) as it causes exactly this sort of problem for owners. You SHOULD have opted for a model with enough internal memory to cope with all your future needs when you were deciding which one to buy, but TomTom certainly don't go out of their way to mention that memory size may be an issue.

I'm glad to see they may have reversed that decision as one of their latest DOES have a micro SD card slot again (although it doesn't do anything yet!), but that doesn't help you.

Individual country maps are so expensive compared to ones for the whole of Europe, that you will probably find it's cheaper to buy a whole new model and re-sell it after your holiday. (or buy a different model and sell the XL250).

Ask a Question