Question about traffic receivers

I just bought a TT 630 that I am excited about. I would like to get a traffic receiver to go with it but I am confused.

I searched amazon and there are 2 receivers with 2 very different prices.

One is located here: Amazon.com: TomTom USB RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for all TomTom GPS Except Go 740: Electronics

The other here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FEKENO/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=19PAG71Z2E8GRZF4ZBG1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

Both claim to be from TOMTOM. Does anyone know if one is superior to the other?

Thanks in advance. (Of course, my preference is the cheaper version).

The two antennas use different connectors, but work the same way.

Your first link is for the antenna with the USB connector.

Your second link is for the antenna with the round connector. This is a much older connector which doesn't work with newer Tomtoms, so it is being phased out. I'm not sure if a 630 still has the connector. In this link, choose the 630 in the dropdown, and look at the jack second from the left (the left edge of the red square). If you have the jack, then you'll have no problem using this older antenna.

There is also a third option of using a Bluetooth phone with a data plan, which prevents the need for the added wire hanging from the Tomtom.

Also remember the European and USA spec receivers are different and its not possible to use a European RDS receiver in the USA and simlarly a USA spec receiver is useless in Europe - Mike

I've had a GO 630 for a year now and I've used both types of connectors, USB & round tip, without any problems. You can get the round tip version on eBay for around $14.00 or less, as this is where myself and others here on the forum picked it up.

HTH

You are awesome. Thank you for your answer.

(The first receiver on amazon is confusing because it shows a pic of a pin-type receiver. But I see where a reviewer mentions exactly what you are saying.)

I am interested in learning how to get traffic via bluetooth/data plan. I'm researching now.

I may be back with questions.... ;)

Thanks again.

p.s. the 630 does have the round (earphone-type) connector.

Ask a Question