Question about installing new maps

1. I have maps for 2007 installed on my TT1 Is there much difference in the new maps than the 2007? Is it worth upgrading.

2. Also if I purchance the new maps what all changes on my TT1?

3.A friend has a TT 3rd edition and I don't like the menu as my TT1 has , I was wondering if it would set it up as his. Thanks...

1. I have maps for 2007 installed on my TT1 Is there much difference in the new maps than the 2007? Is it worth upgrading.

2. Also if I purchance the new maps what all changes on my TT1?

3.A friend has a TT 3rd edition and I don't like the menu as my TT1 has , I was wondering if it would set it up as his. Thanks...
1. The quantity and quality of updates will depend a lot upon where you are looking. Some areas of the world have seen significant improvements in mapping by TeleAtlas over the last couple of years, and some have not. Best bet for you is to decide what's missing or wrong in your area(s) of interest (like new subdivisions) and see if Google Maps has corrected it yet. They use TeleAtlas as does TomTom. If you see good changes there, the update would likely be worth it to you.

2. You don't say what firmware you have on your unit. It is likely that you'll need to upgrade that as well to take full advantage of the new stuff that comes with the new maps. If you'll check your firmware level as it is now, we can advise on what features may have been added or deleted and what firmware might best work for you now.

2 and 3. IF you back your unit up fully (use Explorer, not TomTom Home), you can always try the latest firmware first and back up to what you had easily enough. I believe the current firmware version for your TomTom ONE is 8.411, and gives you features like IQRoutes and the like. If you like the layout of that well enough, you can then purchase the updated maps and take advantages of those features.

JUST BE SURE TO BACK YOU UNIT UP, and let TomTom Home figure out what firmware version is appropriate for updating your unit. It is possible that you may have to do it in two steps (updating twice) depending upon how old your existing firmware is.

IWhen you say what firmware , how do I find what firmware is on my TT1?
Sounds like a lot to know when doing this. Can I connect TT1 and have them walk be through. I'm afraid I'll mess my TT1 up. Thanks for the reply.
Also Is there a live chatt to talk to someone on line?

Tap the satellite bars on your unit and the next screen shows the version number of the application installed.

Tap the version number and the next screen shows what map is installed and its version number.

I haven't had a chance to "touch" 7.903, so I can't say whether any changes were made to the ordering or content of the menus. But as I say - back everything up, and you can always backtrack if you need to. For what it's worth, all you need to do if you don't like the results is to copy back all of the loose files in the root directory of your backup folder back onto the root directory of your TomTom. That's where the application resides.

If you find that you're good with the newer release of firmware, and find that the maps for your area are indeed a sufficient improvement to justify the cost, then you can update to the new maps and enjoy some extra features that will come along with them. The routing will, for example, take known traffic data into account using your day of week and time of day. Apart from accidents and the like, that will get your arrival times a whole lot closer than those you've seen before.

I was using the new firmware a couple of weeks ago, and on a Sunday, zipping down the interstate through Denver a something (I won't say HOW much) over the speed limit with the other traffic, my TomTom refused to buy me back even an extra minute of my arrival time. Seems the TomTom KNOWS nobody ever does the speed limit on I-25 at 3:00pm on a Sunday afternoon!

7.903 is the latest firmware available for your Tomtom, so you can't change it any further. All Tomtoms that are compatible with 7.903 are not compatible with any newer application versions.

So you can't change your menu to that of a new model like the One 3rd edition.

7.903 is compatible with the latest 830 version of the maps, so you'll have no problem upgrading your map if you choose to.

Ask a Question