purchased today... issues already ?

Hi Everone.

hope someone can help me out here ?
Today i purchased a TomTom XL Live IQ Edition with the full European mapping,Now i set it up,registered it,all hooked up to my laptop perfectly,TomTom home running as it should,all updated with no problems,then i downloaded a voice from TomTom home,went to instal it and it says i need to remove some items to free up the memory and the items it has suggested is the maps due to lack of use ?,now if i do that its not a satnav is it ?....
Now i live in the UK so there really is no need for the other europe maps,and apparently this has a 2GB memory but is says mine is nearly full up hence i need to remove some items,all i have installed since plugging it in are the latest map updates and a TomTom application which it said i had to.

can someone please help ?

thanks in anticipation....

Before you do ANYTHING else, be sure you make a full backup of your unit - not using Home, but using your PC to copy all of the files (both visible and invisible) to a safe spot on your PC's hard drive. There are 100 good reasons for doing this, many of which you'll find if you read through the troubleshooting and restoration posts in many of these threads.

Having done that, remove all but the voice you plan to use. I'd recommend keeping the one UK "computer" female voice and removing the rest to your hard drive using Home. That should free up a fair bit of space. If not enough, we can take it to the next level.

Once you have a backup of the device use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the device, locate the "voices" folder and delete everything except the following files:

data04.chk
data04.vif
data05.chk
data05.vif

The above four files are the UK English voices Tim and Jane, the XL supplied in the UK isn't supposed to have TTS so there souldn't be any large computer voice related files to prune, removing the unused recorded voices can release around 50MB of space though - Mike

Ask a Question