Proof that the x20 with 7.20 maps and X30 with 8.05 maps are NOT the same

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Today I went to CC and they had a 720 next to a 730. I wanted to check a route to see how the two would compare. I used a starting point of Huntsville, Al and a destination of Wichita, KS. The 730 chose a very good route. See pic below. The 720 with 7.05 maps chose to go up to St. Louis, then west to Wichita, not a good route. Both routes were chosen to NOT avoid toll roads.

A couple of days ago I asked a member who has a 720 with 7.20 maps to check this route. He also got the same route as the 720 in CC.

This leads me to believe that there is something up with IQ routing. If the 7.20 maps and the 8.05 maps use the same data, then it has to be software that is making the routing selection. Thus a x20 and x30 with the same type of map data do not work the same.

I'd like to get a third party to verify this on a x20 with 7.20 maps. Can I get someone to prepare a route, using Huntsville, Al as the starting point and Wichita, KS as the end point. DO NOT avoid toll roads. It should route you via St. Louis.

Is anyone running hacked V8 code with 7.XX maps on a x20 that could check this too. That would be the most definitive test.

Attachments

• Route.JPG
    Route.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 527
Its indeed the IQ routes. With IQ routes turned off, a route from Texaco gas station University drive huntsville to wichita mid continental airport takes the same route as you have plotted. Otherwise it takes you thru little rock, AR.

Attachments

• iq.jpg
    iq.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 409
  • iqD.JPG
    iqD.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 484
Its indeed the IQ routes. With IQ routes turned off, a route from Texaco gas station University drive huntsville to wichita mid continental airport takes the same route as you have plotted. Otherwise it takes you thru little rock, AR.

This sucks. I can't believe I spent all this money on a unit, and can't get the best routes out of it even with the most up to date maps. TomTom better address this.

IQ routes just started. In order for IQ routes to work, there need to be a certain # of units in your city making similar trips. Also if you know a quicker route, take it and it will learn that route as the better one. Its also based on different speeds at certain times of the day.

eg. It will take you one way during rush hour and another during off peak hours.

Remember, its a new technology. Also, the X30 units are the exact same as the X20 units.

And yes the 720 maps are the exact same as the 805 maps cept for IQ routes and lane guidance :)

He could, but you'd never see them as I'm sure the admins would take care of that. There's no legal way to do what he did...at least with the maps. Now as for the app, that's a gray area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question