Problems with GO 730

I recently upgraded to the GO 730, and have discovered that I can't do what I could do with my old GO 720.
Things like simply hooking up to my computer and using Google maps to send info directly to the 730. I get a message stating that this feature isn't available. It seems that the GPS satellite Quick Fix isn't updating at all.
Also, my favorite computer voice, an English female voice doesn't exist on the 730.
I also find that the screen display is impossible to see during daylight times, even though I have set the brightness to it's max. The screen simply washes out.
Any ideas?

Pete

The screen on the 730 is the same as the 720, same hardware. Are you using the same map colours on the 730 as on the 720?

And there should be no reason you can't use Google maps on a 730...

Have you tried the steps here:
Using Google Maps For Itinerary Planning

Delete all the files in the ephem folder on your unit using Explorer. Then, go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\

and remove any sub folders found there.

You should get a new quickgpsfix file.

By the way, you HAVE a different email address/pw set up for the 730 than you had for the 720, right? It doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper format of (e-mail address removed)

Nope.
I tried those ideas and it still won't let me download the map data.
I did a screen shot to show the error message.
I am using the same color scheme, but when vied side by side, the 730 is very dark, almost impossible to use in sunlight, whereas the 720 is visible.

Attachments

• Error_730.jpg
    Error_730.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 390
I'm confused. Your original post made no reference to being unable to download map data.....

Sorry, but have to ask........where did you get the 730 and was it an authorized seller?

What application is on the 730? Anything below 8.351 is not current. Anything over 8.351 is not meant for the unit and is probably the reason that Home is acting up.

A couple of direct download links to the UK TTS voices that you seem to be missing:

Susan

Kate

Extract the download to the LoquendoTTS folder using Winrar - Mike

I thought that that is what I was referring to when I said that Google Maps would not download. Sorry for the confusion. My mistake.
The version that is installed is 8.395.
I got it from Radio Shack. I believe that Radio Shack is authorized to sell TomTom products.
It is a reconditioned model.

How can I get the firmware back to 8.351?

Application 8.395 is meant for the TomTom works 730 model with its appropriate map.

To get back to 8.351:

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Use Explorer to remove all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
3. Get the 8.351 application here.
4. Use WinRar to extract the files to your unit, overwriting as necessary...
5. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware DEvice Disconnect icon in the notification area.
6. Restart the unit and connect to Home. I suspect you'll have better results.............

That did it.
Now Everything seems to work fine (except for that brightness thing).
I can do the proper updates, as well as use Google Maps to send the data to my GO 730.

Thanks again,

Pete

my G0 730 was connecting to PC OK. After upgrading HOME to 2.7 Application doesn't see device anymore. I uninstalled it completely, insttalled again - no change.
Icon in task bar says that device connected, my computer shows device as well.

Any ideas what to do ?

Try a pin reset on the unit and try connecting again.

I did pin reset several times. No result. "My Computer" shows device, I can browse it . TOMTOM HOME 2.7 says that device not connected.
I uninstalled HOME, deleted all folders I did find, cleaned registry with MS CARE, installed again - result the same, "device not connected". I assume there is an issue with drivers that installed with HOME, but i don't know how to find it and how reinstall.

thanx in advance

Ask a Question