Problem with TOM TOM Home software or GPS unit?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTomGo
Okay, for the last couple of days when I go to update my GO 920 on Vista I get a Microsoft Windows message that "Tom Tom Home has stopped working". At that point home freezes and I cannot access anything. However, Home seems to work just fine when my 920 is not connected to the computer but stops working when connected. I've called customer service and they believe that the unit itself is defective. I on the other hand think it's a software issue. So that's what brings me to the forums. Here is what customer service has had me do.

Uninstall & reinstall TomTom Home
Soft reset
Hard reset
Ran the clear flash tool x2

None of those things have helped. Any suggestions?

Shot in the dark here. Highlight the executable for Home, right click and, in Properties, set it to run as XP compatible.

See if that helps.........

Thanks for the advise. I tried it and it didn't help. Since I originally posted I've tried updating the 920 on a Mac as well. Didn't work there either. I guess it really is the unit itself...

Try extracting this file onto a blank SD and stick it in the tomtom. It will upgrade the software, including the bootloader which contols the USB firmware on the tomtom.

If it doesn't help, and still crashes on numerous computers (you tried a different USB cable, right?), then I'd agree it's a hardware issue.

Tried with no luck. I already have the latest 8.351 software installed on my unit, but I tried you suggestion too. No luck. I also tried another USB cable as well. I don't know what happened in the last couple of days that would have caused this.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help!

Tried with no luck. I already have the latest 8.351 software installed on my unit, but I tried you
suggestion too. No luck. I also tried another USB cable as well. I don't know what happened in the last couple of days that would have caused this.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help!

as a last shot in the dark. Try to clean the tomtom usb jack. Wrap a toothpick w a paper towel and put a drop of rubbing alcohol on it. Then use it 2 clean the usb connectors.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the USB jack because I can still see and access TomTom from my computer. I just can't get the TomTom Home software to connect to it.

Ask a Question