Problem with 8.010 when trying to install on SD card only

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720 with 920 POI's
When I was using 7.221 and 7.481 I had everything installed on the SD card in my 720 and the internal memory completely empty and it worked great. When I upgraded to 8.010 if I install everything on the SD card the unit locks up at the TomTom opening screen. If I install the program on the internal memory and the maps on the SD card the unit boots but then tells me no maps found. Now if I install a map on the internal memory with the program then it'll find it plus the ones on the SD card. Funny huh??

1) Anyone else have this issue or am I the only one that wants to put everything on the SD card???

2) Anybody know if TT did this on purpose?

3) Should I just get over it and put an old map on the internal memory with the program and live with it?

When I was using 7.221 and 7.481 I had everything installed on the SD card in my 720 and the internal memory completely empty and it worked great. When I upgraded to 8.010 if I install everything on the SD card the unit locks up at the TomTom opening screen. If I install the program on the internal memory and the maps on the SD card the unit boots but then tells me no maps found. Now if I install a map on the internal memory with the program then it'll find it plus the ones on the SD card. Funny huh??

1) Anyone else have this issue or am I the only one that wants to put everything on the SD card???

2) Anybody know if TT did this on purpose?

3) Should I just get over it and put an old map on the internal memory with the program and live with it?

Have you tried a pin reset at any point? Such as when everything is on sd card? Or, when map is on sd but system files on internal?

Yes. I have tried the pin reset several times. I've also tried things several different ways. I've had Home load them and tried copying them manually and it always operates the same way. The program and a map has to be on the internal memory.

Thanks for all the help you give.

Yes. I have tried the pin reset several times. I've also tried things several different ways. I've had Home load them and tried copying them manually and it always operates the same way. The program and a map has to be on the internal memory.

Thanks for all the help you give.

Some other poster had to resort to putting the operating system on the sd card for 1 map AND also on internal for his other for both maps to be 'seen' in his 920. Now, we KNOW that shouldn't be needed.

The common theme? He, too, upgraded to 8.010. I'm just saying...

Like most TomTom problems there seem to be some with it and some without. I have 8.010 and everything is on the SD card except the mp3's. I have no problems. One thought, what size is your SD card? Anything over 4gb can cause problems depending one where on the card the files are written. 4gb appears to be the max size for full read/write compatibility.

Well it's good to hear that it works for some people. I have a 4gb card. Kingston SDHC class 6. Maybe that's the problem. I might get brave enough to try it again soon but I might try it with another card just to see what happens.

It really sounds like it is having problems reading a file from the card. You may have already tried this, but if not, try formating the card FAT32 while it is in the TomTom and connected to the PC. Do a full format not a "quick" one. Then try one more time. loading up the card.

A bad card is what it acted like. I performed a full format and tried several different things to try and work around the problem. I'm still not convinced it's not the card so I will be trying a different one in a few days and see what happens. It's just funny that the previous two versions had no problems.

While it's not insurmountable it's a pain to remember that you have to be connected to the right memory when installing things.

Ask a Question