Problem Loading Map 7.15

TomTom Model(s)
GO720
Because of the 30 day thing TT Support updated my case Took a few hours to download 7.15 North american map. and when it went to install, got a nasty message " can't write to drive K:", after that, located the download. kept hanging up with cline.dat file after unzipping the file. Support had originally asked me to erase original map to download this map. Have not had any luck since that point ....any local suggestions to get this back up and running, all i got is a map of guam, does not help here in the north. currently have 7.221 installed not 7.4.8.0. They told me newer version will come out shortly....bugs in 7.4.8.0 :confused:

Because of the 30 day thing TT Support updated my case Took a few hours to download 7.15 North american map. and when it went to install, got a nasty message " can't write to drive K:", after that, located the download. kept hanging up with cline.dat file after unzipping the file. Support had originally asked me to erase original map to download this map. Have not had any luck since that point ....any local suggestions to get this back up and running, all i got is a map of guam, does not help here in the north. currently have 7.221 installed not 7.4.8.0. They told me newer version will come out shortly....bugs in 7.4.8.0 :confused:

Sounds as if you may be running into a (lack of space) problem on your unit. See if you can remove (back up. don't delete) items in other folders you don't need like extra voices, mp3's, etc.

Also, you may try this: remove from your map folder cspeech.dat files you don't require; there is a file for each state and one for Canada. Open up the zip file in your download directory. Move the cspeech files you don't need to some other folder on your hard drive and then try to use Home to reinstall the (reduced in size) 7.15 map.

or ...

I suspect you don't have a sd card. You may want to get one (a 4 gig sdhc works fine on a 720). If you get one and format it as fat32 and install it in your unit, you'll be able to install the entire 715 map there. TT should see it there, no problem.

Did what u suggested ;) Had a couple of issues. Went out and purchased a 8 gig kingston HDSC (good price)formatted fat 32 it thinking that would be ok. nope unit didn't see it from TThome. logged out of TThome and checked the drive from 'my computer' properties showed a 4 gig available....reformatted to 4gig fat 32 and rebooted system ....ta da ...saw the card. just like other threads reported 4 gig is limit. then re opened TThome and saw the card. it took a while but TThome wrote map 7.15 (all of it to memory card , kept all speech files to card. There was no room on the 720 internal for this map update. Logged out and shut down TT 720 and rebooted. the unit kept seeing Guam as my Map (all previous maps erased) tried to change over to North America 2G. the unit switched but when I tried to create a "Home" address the unit hung up with the street name as i was typing it in. After rebooting and doing the same thing a few times I gave up....Came back later (couple of hours)and guess what 7.15 is working with 7.221. Doesn't make sense but I'll take it. Might get adventurous over weekend and try 7.4.8.1...I still have 7.221 files on my computer. Any suggestions installing 7.4.8.1 ie memory card or unit or automatic install

Last edited:
First of all, you ran into the issue that the 720 can read from an 8gig sd card but only write to 4 gigs.

What you should have done is format it to fat 32 for the entire 8 gigs (which you did) using explorer when the card is not in the unit (use a sd reader) but not worry that the 720 couldn't see the full 8 gigs.

Then move to the card the large NA map using Explorer. Then do a pin reset.

If I followed your message properly, you've wasted 4 gigs by reformatting the card to 4 gigs.

Also in my testing with a 8gb card, even formating it as 4 gb can run into problems. My conclusion was that you just can't put any files the TomTom needs to write to on a >4gb card. They can be used for mp3's or maps as long as you don't try to update them in the TomTom. I ended up going with a 4gb card to avoid the write issues. 4gb card + 2gb internal is enough storage for me so it works out well. I have the maps, POI's, and programs on the card and the music on the internal memory. Home has no problems updating it in that config and I have room for the 920 POI's.

ScrollSaw, also one of the signs that the TomTom cannot write a file on the card is random hangs. Another is rebooting when you try to shut it down. Be careful about using any files you had on the 8gb card when it was formated as a 4gb. If the TomTom tried to write to the file it will corrupt it. Go back to your backup on the PC when you rearrange your files again.

Last edited:
what a day i'm having. So i decided to upload my maps, and i called TT help line to get me a new code since my previous code never worked.

She uploaded a new map for me(its in my account, but i still have to download it) but when i connect to TT home, it's searching for new updates and then it crashes my computer :( also the TT IT told me to delete my previous map so now i have no maps :(

ohh well time to go off roading and creating my own paths :)

Thats how I got started:( ...the TT first line telephone people thought I couldn't see or load the new map because the old one was there. They asked me to manually delete it. I was with only Guam map for about a week, while waiting for an escalation... finally I got hold of a TT SSD (guru guy) who determined the links had not been set up properly. Then I was able to download map 7.15 (took 7 hours) and then I couldn't load the map, not enough memory... Then I found Tomtom forums and started to read about the SD cards. Finally thats what worked for me :)

Ask a Question