probably already covered, but why?

just curious...at one point my 720 was dead on with current position but now i notice its about 100-200 feet behind....any ideas?...is this common with all gps?

This happened recently and was apparantly due to a slight error in the GPSfix download for the day. It was fixed pronto.

Actually, none of the GPSfixes worked for me... everywhere I go, I am around 100' away from my "Goal". Have all the updates and all, but it's not "on target." I noticed this to be the case when checking addresses on Google maps / MS Street as well.

Shadow - you think that ClearFlash should fix this? I haven't used this tool in a while, but it shouldn't delete any of my settings, correct?

If you are 100' from your target, that is probably normal. Especially if you are using an address as the addressing is almost always off. They "guesstimate" the location of any said address (if the road is 1km long, and there are 10 houses on the road, each house address will be roughly 100m apart - according to the TomTom, whether the houses really are or not.)

If you are lagging, on your screen, by 100' or so WHILE you are driving (ie you pass by an intersection, but the map display shows you about 100' away from the intersection) then the GPSFix should solve your issue. If it doesn't, try the clearflash - it won't hurt anything (except delete your favorites, I believe).

If you are lagging, on your screen, by 100' or so WHILE you are driving (ie you pass by an intersection, but the map display shows you about 100' away from the intersection) then the GPSFix should solve your issue. If it doesn't, try the clearflash - it won't hurt anything (except delete your favorites, I believe).
IF lag:

Another thing that has recently caused some lag problems for folks with 720's is the use of a certain 920 POI file that I saw around here a few days ago. They enable the entire 920 POI set just to see what's around and about, and the 720 can't manage locating and display of so many points concurrently with providing decent positional information. Significanty reducing the displayed categories from the 920 list will help that. Not owning a 920, I can't say if they've got more horsepower under the hood to manage this task, or whether you can overload that unit with too much POI data as well.

That is true as well. Turn off any POIs that you don't care about. That'll help you alot... Or use a custom menu that has the Show/Hide POI button very handy (mine is on the 2nd page of the main menu)...

I did notice drifting a few times, but as you all mentioned, i think this was fixed w/ GPSfix. I was just curious about the actual address, but as I've mentioned, this is true for pretty much all GPSs (including Gmaps n'at).

well i did a reset to factory and unchecked a bunch of poi's i didnt really need and its back to dead on accurate again...thanks for all ur help

Ask a Question