Pretty Disappointed with POI's (Lack of)

Since my new 720 is missing what seems like every POI I'm looking for, I want to upload some from a third party like POI Factory. Two questions on uploading:

1. If I load a POI (such as a McDonald's) that is already on TT, will it now show a duplicate? How are redundencies prevented?
2. Can all the preloaded POI's be deleted, and a fresh complete list be purchased online? Surely someone has a complete list for sale.

Thanks,
Walt

1. Both a built-in McDonalds poi and a downloaded one would show in the same place on the map. You can delete a specific built in one, I believe.

2. Don't think you'd want to do that, there are still over a million pois in the included set. However, understand this. The NA_2GB map for the 720 is a modified version of the same map for the 920/930 model. One of the modifications is that the number of pois in the poi.dat file for the 720 contains only about one third the number in the 930 set.

I know some have gotten the larger poi.dat and crpoi.dat files to work on their 720 maps. I couldn't manage to do it on my unit with the larger set included with the (then current) 8.25 map.

There are other sites for poi files on the net than the one you mentioned. They include this forum.

Many of these sites are free.

Ask a Question