Preloaded voices that aren't downloaded...can I get rid of them?

Hi,
I have a weird problem...
On my LX325 SE when I'm seledting a voice, there are a few (4 or 5) that aren't really "there" but they have a slot and there is a message "go to TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems to download this voice" but i'm forced to "scroll by" these when going to voices that actually ARE loaded...a waste of time.

Can someone help? Either delete this "empty slot" or let me know if these voices are available to "fill the slot"?

One is "Nelson" and one of them is "Jane" for example.

Interesting. If you go to the voices folder on your unit using Explorer, you should see 3 files for each voice:
? Data<number>.chk
? Data<number>.vif
? Data<number>.bmp

The .vif file is the (text) description of the voice and the .chk is the actual (encrypted) data for that voice. It almost sounds as if you have the .vif but not the .chk file for the 2 voices.

Check and see what you have.

I checked on the "chk" files and here is what I have:

71, 75, 79, 80, 82, 101

I also have one that's just "data.chk" with no number.

Leave the data.chk file alone. It's necessary.

what I'm asking is whether you have a data <number> .vif file WITHOUT the same <number> .chk file??

Ok...this is what I did:
I moved the "voices" folder out of my TT and updated...

It copied the following to my TT:

data04.chk
data05.chk
data06.chk
data100.chk
data118.chk
data119.chk

All of the "vif" files were present for each one of those.

Now that I've been looking; I have the following voices come up for selection but they say "load from cd or download"

Sean
Kathy
Paul
Katrina
Mandy
Lori
Bonnie
Richard

And although my folders say that I have "samantha" and "Tom" computer voices loaded....they aren't available for selection...they aren't even a choice....

EDITED TO ADD: I did a "factory reset" and Samantha and Tom are back....

Now...are they the only two computer voices I get?

Last edited:
Yes, for your model I suspect those are the only English speaking ones available.

So does every owner of a TT have to scroll through 20 voices to get to to the 15 that they actually have loaded?

No, not at all, that's why I was wondering whether you had some files containing just the image of the voice but not the actual data.

Assuming you have an Explorer backup, try this......

Use Home to remove the voices from both your unit and whatever is stored on the computer.

Then use home to download the voices you want again.........

I did that....I cleared out the vocalizer folder and the voices folder...and I still have several voices that are greyed out and not selectable, but only there as a placeholder.

The greyed out ones now are:
Mandy
Sean
Kathy
Paul
Katrina

Well, this is assuming you have the Explorer backup.................

Format your unit. Do not use quickformat. Connect to Home and let it install the application it offers. Then use Explorer to copy back your map folder and its contents.

Well...
I went through Home and "re downloaded" Lori, and Katrina as they were showing available and that cleared them up...they are now selectable.

The others...don't show as available for download but they show as being installed on my device.

does someone know what data files are related to these particular voices?

I'd like to just put the data files in manually if possible..

Well, this is assuming you have the Explorer backup.................

Format your unit. Do not use quickformat. Connect to Home and let it install the application it offers. Then use Explorer to copy back your map folder and its contents.

I did that and only got a big red X...it installed the quickGPS and nothing else...

Oh man...this just keeps getting better and better...

I cleaned off my TT...fired it up..it only installed the QuickGPSfix file....

So....

I moved all my back up back to the TT and now it works but the voice issue hasn't changed and now it freezes when I choose "operate my XL" from the computer..

Help!

Start over..........delete everything from the internal.

Connect to Home and accept and install the application.

After you install the new application offered, you should disconnect the unit PROPERLY from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Turn off the unit. Reboot. Connect to the computer (DON'T have Home running) and copy the map folder only. Disconnect from the computer properly using the Hardware Disconnect icon.

Turn the unit off. Turn on. Connect to Home. Does Operate My Unit work now.

Last edited:
Start over..........delete everything from the internal.

Connect to Home and accept and install the application.

After you install the new application offered, you should disconnect the unit PROPERLY from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Turn off the unit. Reboot. Connect to the computer (DON'T have Home running) and copy the map folder only. Disconnect from the computer properly using the Hardware Disconnect icon.

Turn the unit off. Turn on. Connect to Home. Does Operate My Unit work now.

Ok...everything deleted.

I plugged the device in...connected to Home and it said "update your application" and it's trying to install the USA map....but no app...

Is this correct?

No. Just accept the application. You are sure there is NOTHING on the unit when you connect???

No. Just accept the application. You are sure there is NOTHING on the unit when you connect???

The problem is that although it says "app" all that's checked is the huge 800 mb USA map that's being downloaded....

No app....

Again, I ask...........are you sure there is absolutely nothing on the unit when you are connecting it to Home.

Again, I ask...........are you sure there is absolutely nothing on the unit when you are connecting it to Home.

Absolutely nothing.

Since I'm at work and cannot download a gig of data, I transferred the map folder ONLY (from my explorer backup) to the device and now it works again...but of course...with the "greyed out" voices that I cannot select..

I need to get back to my home computer to check out the file names but I suspect your issue is to do with the number associated with these files i.e dataXY.chk might need altering to something else to get the device to see the voice file as its current number clashes with a pre-installed file. The same goes for the .vif and .bmp file as the numbers all have to match for the voice to work correctly.
I am 400 mile away from home at the moment in North Scotland, when I get home later this week I will look up what details I have on voice file names/ numbers, but I am confident what you are seeing is a numeric clash - Mike

Ask a Question