Preferred Routes in 920?

Hello. Just got my 920 yesterday and I have read the manual and trying to understand and remember everything.

There is one thing I don't know if I can do with the 920 and that is to set a preferred route. I created a route and noticed it took a couple of roads that are not the best. Can I tell it when I am setting up a route to use a certain road instead of the road it selected?

Also, I am not certain why there is alot of emphasis on battery life since when it is in the car it is plugged in anyway.?

Joe C.

You can use Itinerary Planning and set waypoints for a specific route you want.

By the way, since it is new, do yourself a BIG favour and backup the unit's contents NOW using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden folders/files are showing as are extensions for known file types.

There is one thing I don't know if I can do with the 920 and that is to set a preferred route. I created a route and noticed it took a couple of roads that are not the best. Can I tell it when I am setting up a route to use a certain road instead of the road it selected?
The way I do it is "Navigate to", then pick the choice on the next screen. Following the prompts and after the "Do you need to arrive at a particular time?" screen you get a screen that shows the map of the route and [Details][Find alternative][Done]. Click [Find alternative] (if you hesitate too long TT will have taken Done as an option and you have to stary over again). The choices you want now are Travel via ... or Avoid part of route. Via obviously requires you to enter an additional address. Avoid gives you a listing of the road segments selected. Delete the one you do not want and after the update immediately click Find alternative again (anything else will end up as an accepted route).
If you are now satisfied click Back and you are done.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a way to save this amended route for re-use.

Well, before sending I tried once more with Google maps and Tyre to create an itinerary and it finally worked.

Thanks dhn and Arno for the input, will try and do.

Today I had a new problem. I put the TT in my car and turned it on and could not get a satellite fix. I was driving for 10 mins before it got a fix and it startled me by saying turn left when it found it! I don't know why it took so long, the sky was clear and I was out in the open. Go figure.

It's easier (faster) to get a fix if the unit is in a stationary position (and in an open area not blocked by trees, tall buidings, etc.). When the car is moving, it'll take longer, as you have found.

The way I do it is "Navigate to", then pick the choice on the next screen. Following the prompts and after the "Do you need to arrive at a particular time?" screen you get a screen that shows the map of the route and [Details][Find alternative][Done]. Click [Find alternative] (if you hesitate too long TT will have taken Done as an option and you have to stary over again). The choices you want now are Travel via ... or Avoid part of route. Via obviously requires you to enter an additional address. Avoid gives you a listing of the road segments selected. Delete the one you do not want and after the update immediately click Find alternative again (anything else will end up as an accepted route).
If you are now satisfied click Back and you are done.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a way to save this amended route for re-use.

Well, before sending I tried once more with Google maps and Tyre to create an itinerary and it finally worked.

FYI - you can prevent the TT from automatically switching to map view (selecting the "done" option) and have it wait at the summary screen until you actually press "done". I'd give you more detail, but my TT is in my truck (if you're been reading the "untommed" thread, this won't surprise you).

FYI - you can prevent the TT from automatically switching to map view (selecting the "done" option) and have it wait at the summary screen until you actually press "done". I'd give you more detail, but my TT is in my truck (if you're been reading the "untommed" thread, this won't surprise you).
I'd like to hear more about it once you'll get a chance to get around to it.
As for the other thread, I dropped out when it got a little too silly.
Cheers,

Ask a Question